Non-sweet Christmas treats

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Dec 19, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Many of our friends are diabetic (and no, it wasn't my baking that caused the outbreak!) so I make them non-sweet treats to give at Christmas. These cheese straws are favorites--I've even had requests for them ("If you're thinking of giving me a Christmas gift, I'd sure like some of those cheese straws," which is nice, especially when the request is made in July).
    This is a Paula Deen recipe, is easy, and the only really necessary equipment is a mixer or food processor. It makes about 5 dozen.

Zesty Cheese Straws

1/2 c. butter at room temperature
    2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese at room temperature
    1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (can be increased or decreased according to taste)

Put all ingredients in a food processor or mixer bowl and process until a smooth dough forms (this can take a while, so be patient). Scoop the dough into a cookie press fitted with a flat ridged tip (like a macaroon tip) or a star tip. Pipe the dough in 2 inch strips onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Alternately, chill the dough for 30 minutes, roll out 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board, and with a sharp knife cut into 2x3 inch rectangles. Bake for 10-15 minutes (depends on the size of the straws) at 300 degrees. Cool on a rack, and store (if you can hang onto them!) in an airtight container. I have no idea if they freeze well or not, since I've never made it to the freezer with a container of them!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I'm about to make a 'Cloutie dumpling' so while I'm waiting for it to cook I'll give the straws a try as my husband is diabetic and will love them. :-D Thankyou.

4. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

ive had these before but never with cayenne pepper, i'll have to try this recipe. . . thanks :-D

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

that sounds yummy. Might just have to give it a try