Not a pet yet, but working on it// New Photos

Discussion in 'Pets' started by toni, Mar 12, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In January we had an ice storm and I went into high gear feeding the birds. Found lots of old bread (okay some wasn't all that old but don't tell the family), there were a couple of bags of old popcorn in the pantry set aside just for this occasion, mixed several batches of peanut butter and birdseed to put in the tray feeders...the birds were not going to starve!!

One morning while admiring the beautiful white stuff from the front door I saw a stray cat eating some of the bread then scratching at the ice to get more. My daughter has a ferret and feeds her kitten food so I commandeered her food (daughter works at PetSmart had to work that day so she could buy more) I put out a bowl in the front yard and waited - inside. Didn't take long for the cat to return and empty the bowl in record time. Okay, I have been trapping the feral cats in our neighborhood who like to eat my birds and turn my yard into a litter box and calling Animal Control to come get them but I couldn't set the trap with the overnight temps in the teens so I kept feeding she-he (don't know which it is) and one thing led to another so now we are working on socializing she-he to hopefully make she-he an indoor pet. We are pretty sure she-he was dumped by a previous owner or was left when they moved.

She-he sleeps in our shed and wanders our yard but doesn't bother the birds....squirrels are a different matter, but she-he doesn't attack them just chases them out of the yard. And she-he has figured out the feeding schedule and shows up on the front porch within a few minutes of me filling the bowl.

When the weather stabilizes into warmer Spring weather the trap will be set and she-he will be taken to a Vet for a physical, shots and 'fixing'.

Do you think she-he has accepted our yard as it's new home?
    Sleeping on a plant shelf in the Herb garden.
    [​IMG]
    Tummy is full so now for a nap ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I took these through the front screen door so she-he would stay asleep. She-he has the prettiest grey eyes.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I really didn't want another pet after Rambo died a few years ago buuuut.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looks like She-He has found a home. Cats can do that. Wiggle their way into your heart. Good luck with it. Oh, you might try the crumpled paper suspended by a string toy as an amusement for the cat.

Jerry

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

When I was a kid I remember the excitement when a stray cat started to show up and trust you more day by day. Then they finally let you pet them and the bond/love was official. You have a new pet!

I'm very happy to see that your new pal has decided that you can continue to live in your home. So nice of him/her. In their mind it's their abode now :)

5. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Nice cat!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing many more photographs of this cat. I'm sure it won't take too long before you're the best of friends. :-D

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That's a nice story. Get some better pictures. Sure is a cute baby. I thought about putting one in the greenhouse to keep the mice out but it would knock over my pots or maybe even use a pot as a litter box. :eek:

Guess that whole thing is not a good idea.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Awww! What a sweetie! Good thing he/she found you. You should call it Lucky!

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yup, She-he looks very comfortable in your yard Toni! Congratulations on your new furbaby :)

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I think She-He is the purrrfect name. :D

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, you have been recognized as having potential, with training, to be a member of the cat's staff! He-She would never admit it, but that is a lucky cat to have selected your yard, and you.
    That's a gorgeous cat, and I'd bet it was someone's pet at one time. There is a special corner of purgatory reserved for those who dump pets.

Frank likes this.
  12. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Sure looks like a keeper to me. And He-She picked your garden to live in makes it all the more the purrrfect match.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cute story Toni! Good luck with your new kitty.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Its a keeper,..if it doesn't chase birds but drives the Squirrels away then you have a good pet,..plus it may be doctored already.

15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Awww, isn't it funny how they worm their way into your heart? :-o

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    So happy another deserving soul found a comfortable home. I rather like the name He-she :-D

Frank likes this.