Not done yet!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I hoed up the back garden area this morning. I have seven zucchini and five yellow summer squash that survived the cold and frosty mornings. Today, I planted 3 Ichiban eggplant and 4 Black Beauty eggplant, 5 green pepper plants and thirteen straight eight cucumber plants. I have 32 tomato plants and a dozen small cantaloupe plants to put in the front yard this afternoon. Then, I can access the space I have left to see what else I can plant. Maybe some flowers. I have lettuce and swiss chard and sugar snap peas and some pole beans growing already. I will need to water everything once it's all planted because we didn't get much rain out of that storm. It seemed to go all around us.

dooley

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, you are going to have so much eggplant and cucumbers! We plant Straight 8's also--very reliable, and can be either slicing or pickling cukes.
    What varieties of tomatoes are you planting? I'd like to try some different types, but so many just aren't adapted to our Texas weather.
    We got 1/2" of rain from the storms, but I ain't braggin'!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mart and Jane, do your straight 8's get bitter? I grew those last year and with the drought they were unpalatable. or do you both water water water water and then water some more? I had muncher in the same row and they tasted fine.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, I've never had 8's get bitter, but then our cucumbers are finished by July, so they don't experience great heat or lack of water.
    Cukes are very seasonal for me--I plant them in early spring, and again in late fall so the temperatures are in the 70's and 80's for them, but no higher (I hope!).
    Last year I decided to try Divas, and it was a complete disaster. From six vines I got three small cukes, with a pithy texture and little flavor. That's why I went back to Straight 8's this year.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Jane, other than the ones that you gave me I have Marion, Marglobe and Beefsteak. All are those Bonnie plants. I couldn't divide some of them so they will be big plants. I just finished watering everything. I didn't get the cantaloupe planted but there is still tomorrow or another day.

dooley

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a marvelous garden. Wish I could grow warm weather crops but green beans sugar snaps and cole/lettuces are about as good as it gets. Am going to try tomatoes in a cold frame this year and see if we fair a little better. Last summer was just too cold. I'm seeing a lot of the small neighborhood garden beds are under plastic hoops, but it is constant work keeping them ventilated properly. :rolleyes: guess I'm getting lazy. :-|

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

There are several versions of the Chinese proverb.
    I have one tucked away, but by the time I find it, it will be tomorrow.
    "Buy Hyacinths to feed thy soul"
    If of thy earthly goods thou art bereft,
    - - - save one, and with the dole, buy Hyacinths to feed thy soul.
    Wish I could recall it in it's entirety.