Not pets, yet

Discussion in 'Pets' started by marlingardener, May 24, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

AAnightowl, the mamacat has progressed to actually wanting to be petted at meal time. One of the yellow kittens rolls over for a tummy rub, and the tortoiseshell is getting bolder. The two other yellows and the calico accept food but want nothing to do with us!
    I called the vet and she said it was too early to give them any medicine for worms, fleas, etc. I don't think they are wormy, but they do have fleas!
    We are holding off on naming--want to see what their personalities are and choose something appropriate. My husband suggested Hoover, Dyson, Bissel and Shark since they vacuum up food!

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Jane those names are just too funny. I have a feeling that the Mama cat may not have been a feral, but a dumped off house cat. She has finally decided to trust you two with giving her pets and rubs. It would be great if you could have the mama cat spayed after the kittens are older if you plan on keeping them. We have an organization that will spay or neuter feral cats for free and then return them to where they were living.
    Those kittens sure are cute. We also have had a cute young cat hanging around our yard terrorizing our squirrels, birds and chipmunks. So I have now decided to see if I also can win his or her trust and am feeding her. But only cat food. I'll see if I can get a pic of the cat as it is a really cute one with an unusual coat. Happy kitty watching.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The couple who bought the farm down the hill from us arrived with a bunch of cats "to keep the vermin down." Well, the cats have done what cats do, and we have feral cats all over the place.
    Unfortunately, mamacat decided that her brood was old enough to go home, so they went across two fields and are now at their original spot.
    I miss seeing their little faces in the morning, and giving the yellow kitten a tummy rub and mama a shoulder massage, but cats do what cats want.

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I spoke too soon. You'd think after 14 years of training by a calico cat, I'd be smarter.
    When I went to the barn to feed the chickens this morning, I heard a "meow" and mamacat was sitting by one of the raised beds. After I tended to the hens I went back to the house, got a tin of cat food and took it to the barn. She graciously accepted my offering and allowed me to stroke her.
    Thank heavens we still had a few tins of food left from her previous visit, otherwise I would have had to make a quick run to the grocery!

2ofus, Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mamacat is a very wise feline.:smt045 She obviously knows where the food and attention are both served just the way she likes them. :D

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mamacat and all five kittens showed up last night when we were putting the hens to bed. We put out a tray of dry cat food, filled a small waterer we have for chicks, and petted mamacat and the little yellow kitten that is so bold.
    My husband thinks that we are the playground and high-end restaurant for mamacat and her brood. We are so trainable, so easy, and such easy touches for almost anything with fur and a purr!

2ofus, Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Jane i am pleased to see that all five kittens and Mamacat have appreciated your menu so much that they have all returned,..i can just picture the six of them heading to your place,..it must be like a line of ducks lol.

Amazing how quick they know a good touch,..plus how quick they train us to do their bidding ;)

marlingardener likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The no-so-feral kittens are now demanding attention, as well as food. I picked tomatoes today, accompanied by BoldGold who thought tomatoes were very interesting, but sitting in the harvest basket was more entertaining.
    Last night we were discovered--Mamacat and the kittens followed us to the house. They seem to think this is a possible place to eventually move into. I had hoped they would stay in the shed/workshop/barn area, but cats will be cats! Our vet bills for spaying/neutering, shots, worming, and flea repellent medicine are going to eat up our golden years retirement income.
    Here are some of the family on the deck, checking out the inside accommodations and deciding if it is up to their standards:
    Kittens on deck.jpg

toni, 2ofus, Frank and 2 others like this.
  9. eileen

I hope you're prepared to have the whole family as house cats because they've decided (from the way they're inspecting you home) that it's the perfect residence for them. After all what cat would rather live in a barn or shed when they can have 5 star accommodation with servants to cater to their every whim? ;)

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Oh yes,..a good inspection seems to be the order of the day :setc_059:,..those two are the scouts,..before long the remainder of the family will appear bearing all kinds of gifts :setc_088:,..the occasional half dead mouse just to prove how they will perform duties expected when in a farming community :sete_050:do keep us up to date :)

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cats b.jpg
    Breakfast on the farm, four footed style! The gold that doesn't like to be touched is next to Mamacat, then BeeGee who needs and demands to be petted, then the boldly striped gold who doesn't much care what happens as long as there is food coming, the tortoise-shell and the calico, and Mamacat. Mamacat has put on weight (we were worried about her being so lank) and the kittens all have little fat kitty tummys. Our grocery bill has fattened, also!

Frank, Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  12. eileen

A wheel of cats!! I love the markings on them all especially the ginger ones. Is the little calico kitten any friendlier now Jane? They all certainly look very healthy and well fed.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, only two of the kittens aren't friendly--the one gold one and the calico. I keep telling the calico what a royal life Feliz led, and she could step right into the palace, but she isn't buying it.
    Mamacat will be going to the vet's soon to be spayed (we like kittens, but enough is enough!) and if we decide that BeeGee stays (as if it is our decision ;)) he will be neutered. One BeeGee is more than we can handle--the thought of more makes me shiver!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. eileen

It's good to know that you are responsible enough to get mama cat spayed Jane as there are more than enough kittens and cats living in terrible conditions - unwanted and unloved. Will you try to find homes for the rest of the kittens if BeeGee stays with you?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, we are trying to find loving, responsible homes, but those are few and far between. It seems that kittens/cats are at a surplus around here, but I'm still trying.
    If necessary, we will get all six neutered/spayed and set up a payment plan with our vet! Then we will have six cats and I'll be the crazy cat lady of the area.
    Just asking, would you like a kitten?

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.