Now what is going on with my tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Georgia Girl Beth, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

I had a problem with the leaves yellowing before. My tomatoes also were not growing very big before they turned ripe and ready to pick. They are growing bigger, but now I have a new problem. They look like they are rotting on the bottom of the tomatoes while they are still green. If anyone can help again...*sigh* I would be very appreciative once again.

green tomato.jpg rotten tomato.jpg

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

Are they hanging from the vines or are these touching the ground? they may be rotting on the bottom due to touching something.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It looks like Blossom End Rot.....not a disease but a calcium deficiency.
    I don't grow many tomatoes but several members here do so one of them will be able to give you help on how to prevent it. But from what I have read you should start removing and throwing away the affected tomatoes.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks like blossom end rot to me too. I used milk powder in the planting hole to prevent this. I've also heard of using egg shells.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.

Advertisement
  6. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

Blossom End Rot (BER). Egg shells crushed on top, or try sprinkling bone meal. Often you soil, if it is good, contains enough calcium but ph level (in this case too acidic) can effect the plants uptake of the calcium.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.
  7. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! I will remove the affected tomatoes and mix some egg shells in the soil.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Georgia, mixing egg shells in now won't help much--they will take too long to break down. If you can get your hands on some calcium tablets (most large drugstores have them), crush two per plant, add to a gallon of warm water, shake well and water the tomato plants. One gallon of calcium water ought to be enough for about six plants. This will act much faster than egg shells.
    Note, for next year, crush washed egg shells and put a tablespoon or more in the bottom of the planting hole. The calcium in the egg shells will be released as the tomatoes grow.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

are your plants in the ground or in containers? inconsistent watering (fluctuating between dry and wet) will also contribute to the problem. Some varieties seem to be more susceptible to it, too- but mostly they seem to be the heirloom varieties from my experience.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I agree consistent watering is the key....I have never had end rot. I also put mulch under my tomato plants in the ground, right after I plant them.