Nursery bed we built today

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by toni, Jan 31, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I say 'we' built it...I did hold the end of a couple of boards but Randy pretty much built it by himself. :rolleyes:

I had read in one issue of Horticulture Mag that I got on DVD for christmas, an article by a woman who built a raised bed to hold plants that are impulse buys. The ones that you get them home and wonder where you are going to plant them and need a good place for them to be until the new bed is ready or until you have time to plant them.

Mine has some that ended up staying in pots all last growing season, some Elephant ear bulbs that need to be moved out front when the time is right and a couple of Geranium roots that I moved to plant the Primrose in the big pot out front.

It is approximately 4 feet square, size determined by the space available, made from 8" wide cedar boards.
    I dumped several inches of dry leaves in then 8 cubic feet of organic potting soil. I watered it really well before putting the pots in.

Tomorrow I am going to cut away the bottom of the pots so the roots can spread but will leave them in the pots to make it easier to pull them up for transplanting.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What a great idea Toni!
    My "impulse buys" end up in pots all summer until I finally squeeze them in somewhere before winter hits.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like your idea of a nursery bed Toni and it certainly looks good. I'm sure the plants will all thrive in their temporary home and then flourish for you once they're in the garden. :stew1:

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Good idea toni.I had some left over last year.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Very good idea, thank you for sharing. Our impulse buys get planted in the wrong places and have to suffer being moved around a bit too much.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think you will be using this bed quite a bit Toni :)

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

That's so neat. My plants usually end up at the back of my house until I get around to them.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chapeau! You guys did good, Toni.
    Of course I could say...."You shouldn't get plants until you have plans and a place to put them". Boy I sure would be a hypocrit wouldn't I though! :)
    I always wind up with a couple of extra plants that I had felt I really needed to buy and and then didn't quite get round to planting during the season.
    In fact I have a Clematis presently languishing in the cool of my bedroom. If I had had a lovely raised bed like you it would have been still in hibernation on the lottie, is stead of beginning to grow prematurely. :-?

Your bed looks ideal and I salute you for your resolute strength of character. I hope you really enjoy it.

I was re-considering my impulse buying tendency and after years of consideration, I now think the the word, "compulsion" is perhaps more fitting. :D Ha ha ha ha...

10. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Great to see some black dirt instead of the white stuff. Enjoy!!!