Nuthatch.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. With the new format I am testing I can still send pics. Very attractive and agile little bird this. Syd.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lucky. lucky you Syd. Nuthatches haven't made it to Scotland although they are numerous down south. I'd be so excited to see one in my garden but until then I'll just keep looking at your lovely photographs. :)

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

They are interesting birds to watch. We have a pair that have been nesting in the same corner of our screened deck for 5 years. An occasion of spring I note in my garden notebook each year. If I am around for fledging time (twice) I watch for cats while mom and dad sit in the trees and scream encouragement for the young ones to fly.

Jerry

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What great photos. Such a handsome bird.

Advertisement
  5. Gilly

Gilly New Seed

We have them here in Alnwick and yesterday I spent a couple of hours in nearby Hulne Park and there were LOADS of them!!! I saw at least six individual birds in approx. 1 mile. The birds are really getting hyped up for the breeding season - I've noticed a LOT more activity this past two weeks.

6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Glad you enjoyed the pics and they certainly are a very lovely and interesting bird. Above all I love to see them "getting about" on the tree branches. They have an incredible turn of speed and seem to be going "every which way" all at the same time. A very similar lovely though less colourful bird we have is the Tree Creeper and this does exactly as it name says - creeps up the trunks and about on branches seaching with its curved bill into bark crevices for grubs etc. It also can really move if needed - whilst on a tree it will not be seen going down a trunk - only upwards - sideways is OK mind.
    Eileen do you get them in Scotland.
    Will send any other pics as and when. Syd.

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Those are really cute Nuthatches. Love the purple coloring. We have two different ones in Wis. The Red Breasted-who has a very creamy orange underbelly and is small. Why they called it Red I have no idea. Then we have the White-breasted which is the larger of the two. They are so fun to watch as they climb upside down and every which way. The only pic I have is of the White-breasted.

Attached Files:

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi T 2 s. Glad you also enjoy watching their activities - they are so fast and go every which way all over a tree. A similar bird we have is the Tree Creeper which is brown backed/white fronted. This also can move fast but although it goes sideways and up on a Tree trunk it never goes downwards. Syd.