O.K. Now what? My purple cabbage needs some help.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 18, 2016.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Toward the end of its useable life a purple cabbage, too old to stay in the fridge while we were on vacation, was destined for the weekly collection truck. Curiosity got the best of me, I wondered what would happen if I planted the now useless cabbage bottom. Now I know part of the answer but I really don’t grow veggies. Do I separate the 5 plants? Do I toss 4 and keep the strongest? Are 5 heads better than one? :) Or maybe something else. It does make for an interesting experiment.

IMG_0655.JPG
    The cabbage(s) is/are about 6 inches across.

Besides a decent crop of tomatoes my previous successes have been golfball size potatoes, a pumpkin slightly smaller than a tennis ball and a rhubarb pie. I was really not expecting the bottom to sprout much less have 5 heads.

I will save the onion questions for some other time…..yes, last year I must have planted some onions that had decided to get a head start on the growing season….I vaguely remember doing that. They look like they are doing well. Hmmm...can anybody say salad?

Jerry

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. kate

kate In Flower

If there is root on one there may be roots on all (look see) if so then seperate and plant.
    :smt043:smt043
    K

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Jerry,, I have no idea why I didn`t think about planting those. Every cabbage I remove from the garden does the same thing. I have simply left them but they have never grown as a normal cabbage does. Now you make me think if its possible to separate them and what would happen if planted as individual plants. Let me look at how they are growing on the stalk and will post tomorrow. I have a bunch of them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Jerry,..lol nice to see you getting ahead,..looks like there are four heads that could develop hearts,..even if the heart doesn't develop you will get enough outer leaves to make a good few dinners,..knock on wood,..i would remove the smallest of the five,..just cut it,..don't disturb the root of the others as they are still probably all connected.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

In my experience Jerry, they don't have enough if any root system to try to transplant them, but yours is from the head already regrowing roots not an established plant... all I can say is... try to separate a couple of them (every other one) to give the ones left a better chance at growing into something usable.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

"Can I say salad"?...Sure I can... 'cause ... It's a lovely day in the neighbourhood ......:sing:

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am going to cut down through the core and root with one mini head per section,, then plant and see what happens.

Philip Nulty likes this.