Oak Tree w/ small, lime green, slightly lobed foliage.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by civicboyfl, Apr 11, 2009.

1. civicboyfl

civicboyfl New Seed

:arrow: Ok, I have gone through every wikipedia oak tree article that has a decent description along with numerous other web sites and still cannot name my oak tree. My neighbors that have other oaks like this tell me it's a live oak. That's when I change the subject because I know they don't know what they're talking about. :-?
    I live in SWFL (USDA Zone 10a) and I don't ever see any other oaks like mine (except the few in my neighborhood). 8)
    The tree has small, lime-green, slightly lobed foliage. The largest leaves are a little bit longer than my thumb. When the leaves are brand-new they have a reddish tint. The bark is a gray-brown color with wide, shallow cracks running from top to bottom. The tree is approximately 5-10 feet taller than the electric pole in my backyard. This is an oak that produces acorns and drops its leaves in the fall (December here) and produces pollen and new leaves in the spring (January here).
    I hope that I've been descriptive enough that someone can help me. I'll also try to include the picture of the little seedlings I've dug up from the yard. :stew1: :stew2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] :?:

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

4. civicboyfl

civicboyfl New Seed

Thank you, but neither of the leaves on that website looked like mine. The Live Oak has leaves that are much darker than mine, and have no lobes. The Laurel Oak leaf came to a point, mine does not. Also, the acorns on my tree were definately not covered that much by the cup.
    Although I do appreciate your help very much I still don't think those are the tree I have.

Thanks!
    Dave :-D

P.S. I wish Red oaks could grow this far south...they are pretty.

5. glendann

Advertisement
  6. civicboyfl

civicboyfl New Seed

7. glendann

It looked to me like the water oak to me..It does seem like it varys alot.