October tomatoes

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by carolyn, Oct 7, 2015.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

100_1793.JPG 100_1797.JPG 100_1795.JPG 100_1799.JPG 100_1800.JPG 100_1798.JPG

This is what the high tunnels look like today. I am quite delighted with our Fall weather this year. This has to be the nicest one we have had in quite some time.

Sjoerd, Frank, 2ofus and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Carolyn! We had good weather too, just very DRY. My tomaotes (outdoors) have been hit with frost :(

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What bummer that yours are done, Netty. BUT at some point we just need to be done and clean everything up. My outside toms are looking sad even thought the foliage is still green. they just don't do well with the fluctuation of the damp and cold at nighttime. We had a very dry Summer, too. so dry that most people didn't have much of a garden. I am blessed enough to be able to just turn the water on and let it run for days at a time if need be. All of these are from inside the tunnels.

5. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Wow. They still look good.
    We got our first frost last night too. I covered mine with a blanket and tarp. It looks like they made it through the night. One more night and I should have a few more days of mild weather to try to get that last bit of goodness out of the ground.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

tonight is supposed to be 26*...I have everything covered in the high tunnels but it didn't warm up much today so I am thinking it wont be a very successful continuation of Fall.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Carolyn!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looking WAY-good, C.
    I really like those cages and the use of the ground covering. What do you use for the watering system?

Yeah--I'm really impressed with your tunnel. I hope that the rest of your toms will go ahead and ripen for you. Are you still offering your produce at markets?

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Than ks Netty. I see a heavy frost outside this morning. I haven't gotten out there to check to see if they made it through. If not I am finished for the year. I'll lean up and put it all on the compost pile and clean out any weeds etc, roll up the ground cover and store it all until next year.

Hiya S, glad to see you back, btw.
    The tunnels have ground cover from wall to wall. Underneath the cover is the drip system. Every line has a shut off valve and that is attached to the header line coming from the injector. so, when I need to water I can turn off any other or all of the rest of the garden and water only the tunnels.

and yes, I was still doing a market until this past Saturday and we skipped out on doing it as it was not even 45* that day. overcast and at time snow graupel falling from the sky. nasty. I have my roadside stand still going, though.