OH NO! Bird hit our window

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Tooty2shoes, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

This morning my hubby and I where sitting in the kitchen watching the birds at the feeder. When--thump. :eek: We heard a bird hit the window but not real hard. So I go up to take a look on the ground under the window. What I saw almost made me:crying:. It was a sweet little bird that was laying upside down, but still breathing. I slowly turned it upright and it just lay there motionless, but still breathing. :(
    I picked it up for a closer look. It was beautiful. It was a dark olive green on it's top side with a few streaks on it's head, a white eye ring and a light colored belly with a lot of dark streaks. At first I was thinking some kind of warbler, but what kind. Then it hit me:rolleyes:. It was an Oven bird. Poor little thing.
    So I prayed over it speaking life and health into it's little body. I know, sounds kind of strange. But I figured if we pray for people why not animals.
    Afterwards I put it on our upper deck in the shade so it would stay warm and safe. My hubby and I commenced to play a game of cribbage. I would get up periodically and check on it. :fingerscrossed: I tapped on the window and it opened it eyes and looked up at me. :nerdy: So back to our game which took about an hour to complete. All the while I was still checking on the little cutie.
    After the game was over we checked on the little bird and it looked up at us, hopped over to the edge of the deck and flew off. :smt041 I was so happy. I learned that they winter in Florida, Central America, Caribbean Islands, and Venezuela. Here is a picture of the little cute recouping in our deck this morning. DSCN3604.JPG

2ofus, carolyn, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well of course we pray for animals! I'm so glad the little bird recuperated, and that you played such an important part in helping it. That was a lucky Oven bird.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hate it when birds hit our windows or patio doors. Sadly not all of them make it but I try to help as many as I can. I'm happy to hear that your little Oven bird survived and flew off to enjoy the rest of its life. If it hadn't been for you it might easily have passed away so on its behalf I say a BIG thank you.

Tooty2shoes and marlingardener like this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marlin & Eileen I to was so glad we were home. It had landed upside down, with it's head bent off to one side. Plus we have chipmunks, and red squirrels that may have done it in when it was knocked silly. I had read that chipmunk's are one of the predators that lunch on baby oven birds.:(:mad: Chipmunk's beware!

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

It happens here maybe once or twice a year also Tooty. It's always distressing when they hit it real hard but thankfully the majority take off again immediately afterwards. There are the rare few that need some nursing. Thanks for caring for our feathered friends!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Awww, good story. I'm so glad the little bird was able to recover. We have had the same thing happen. Your prayers worked!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Whats an oven bird ? I was waiting for a joke about those ceramic pie birds. That looks similar to our house wrens.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never heard of an oven bird. Thanks for sharing and kudo's to you for being so king=d and caring for that little bird. btw, I pray for my animals, too. Nothing wrong with that.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thanks all for feeling the same way. We have birds hit our windows several times a week. But usually they are only glancing blows and they do fly off. I think we have had 2 bird deaths this year from window strikes.
    Mart-heeehee-yes an Oven bird is in the warbler family and the reason it is called that is because of the type of nest it builds on the ground that resembles a round oven with a front entrance. Do a online search for them. They are really interesting little birds.

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I had to hang sun catchers in my front window. I have bright colored ones and they seem to help.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna, what a brilliant, and attractive, idea! We have patio doors off the kitchen and off the dining room, and occasionally a bird will hit those doors. I really didn't want to put the sticky bird outlines on the glass. Suncatchers would be so much prettier and wouldn't interfere with cleaning the glass. Thank you for the idea!

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I will keep a look out for that kind of bird Tooty2shoes seeing we are not too far away from one another. It is beautiful. I pray for animals too...also for the ones that are on the side of the road dead. You can buy see through decals from a bird store, I have them up in my large windows. They come in all shapes and kinds of birds. I put them up so my hummingbirds wouldn't hit it again. You stick them on the inside and they are suppose to be able to notice them even though the trees, etc. are reflecting in the window. I had a large hawk hit last year, some of you may remember the picture in the snow that I used cherry jello to show its imprint. It flew away quickly but the imprint was impressive.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  14. kate

kate In Flower

Great to read all is well with the bird.

alovelyovenbird.jpg
    Here is Oven Bird...cute!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

That is a cutie ! Most that hit our windows are cardinals. Hasn`t hurt any so far.

16. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have sun catchers in my windows and haven't had a bird hit them yet. Our glass patio door opens onto the covered deck so it doesn't get any sunlight or reflections on it. I worried about the green house windows so I don't clean them often enough or well enough as I haven't had any birds hit them. That's my reason..and I'm sticking to it.

Tooty2shoes likes this.