Oh, wow, that one was close and fairly good sized

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, May 18, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have had 68 earthquakes in the past year, 8 just in this month and one today a few minutes ago :setf_050: Actually it was a 3.3 with an epicenter less than 5 miles from my house. We have had so much construction happening on our street that the rumble I heard I thought was from that but then the house felt like it filled up with sound and the walls rattled.
    We do already have a crack in the ceiling from the ones we had in the late winter and it got a bit longer today.

eclecticgarden likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Capt Kirk
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let's hope you don't get any more Toni as your ceiling could come down!! Eight earthquakes in one month is a heck of a lot considering the month isn't over yet. :eek:

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

We had a good size tremor a month back also just off the east coast of Taiwan. It was magnitude 6 I believe. I was getting ready to leave the apartment and the building started shaking. I looked out the window at my neighbour while it was happening and he looked pretty chill. So that relaxed me also. Thank you neighbour!

5. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I hadn't realised that you lived in an area with so much seismic activity Toni. 8 in a month seems like 8 too many for my taste.

Do you become accustomed to them or do you find yourself worrying about what the next one might mean?

Stay safe!

Advertisement
  6. toni

That's the thing, this area is not normally earthquake prone. There is the Balcones Fault running around through Texas but this activity is more than likely man-made by the natural gas company technique called Fracking. Several states are having the same problem.
    So far I am more worried about tornadoes this spring than the earthquakes, can't prevent either one but at least with an earthquake it's over quickly.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Do you live near Waco? I have a son in Waco, and he would never think to tell me if he was having earthquake activity near him. He thinks I am a worry wart anyhow, but a son ought to tell his Mother stuff like that!!! And they just had a shooting there a few days ago, but not a peep out of that boy.

Toni, be careful. Earthquakes or tornadoes are not fun. We get tornadoes up here. Once in awhile, we might get a tremor. Back in the 90s, some guy was talking about that we were due for another HUGE earthquake like they had back in 1811/12 on the New Madrid fault that made the Mississippi
    River flow backward for a couple weeks, I think it was? He had folks on pins and needles back then. We had a 4.+ that shook the house here. Some parts of Missouri are prone to flooding, but I live on a hilltop, so that should not happen to my house.

8. toni

I am about 2 hours north of Waco, I don't think they have had the quakes like around here. They might have a rumbling sound but the epicenters have been too far away for any actual building shaking.
    The shooting was limited to the parking lot outside the restaurant so if he wasn't there then he was in no danger.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That's a lot of quakes! I'm like you as far as tornado's go. They scare the p__p out of me.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Take care toni....that is way too many going on. Will insurance cover cracks in your walls? I do hope they slow down or quit for you.
    2ofus...I hate tornado's too and even strong storms...