Okay, so now I feel sorry for the Squirrels

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by toni, May 9, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I only feed Safflower seeds to the birds, Squirrels and Grackles do not eat them so the feeders aren't emptied as quickly.

Because of the excessive heat and drought, the last year has been rough on the critters. My Pecan trees had absolutely no nuts, not even the black empty shells that fall, roll down the roof and bounce off the car hood. There were no nuts for them to hide for winter eating...so they had very little food last winter.

The other day I watched a Squirrel climb the small Pecan tree in the front yard and start pulling bark off one small limb, then it started chewing on the inside of the limb. We did a google search to find out what might be causing this weird behavior and we learned that they do that to get the sap when there hasn't been enough food during the winter.
    [​IMG]
    Squirrel chewed limb ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

So the other day I put out a feeder for the poor critters.
    [​IMG]
    Squirrel diner ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

It hasn't been found by the Squirrel(s) yet but I'm sure it will be a busy place when the word gets out.

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh that is soo cute. Give them even more to chew......

Barb in Pa.

3. White_Wolfe

White_Wolfe Seedling

I love feeding the squirrels and birds but it does get aggravating when they empty the bird feeder after I have put out sun flower seeds and peanuts just for them. I have neighbors tho who have lots and lots and lots of cats. They take in the strays, have them neutered or spayed and feed them. As they are outside cats they found their way to my house and hide near the feeders trying to catch my birds or squirrels.......plus they use my dirt driveway for a litterbox ehhhhhhhh. Plus I have to worry about one of them being in the yard when I turn my dogs out.....some of them actually come into my carport, which is fenced. I think they must have a death wish. Anyway Toni, I would have been feeding the little critters all winter.......can't stand for anything to go hungry. Glad you put a feeder out for them.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A yard full of stray cats is one of the reasons I didn't put out the feeder earlier. We have had a problem with feral cats in our yard, catching and killing birds and squirrels so until I was able to get most of them caught and taken to the animal shelter I didn't want to continue to be the source of their free meals. Yeah, all those cats were using our yard as a litter box and birthing room for the next generation of feral cats.

I caught 10 cats and 2 possums and the squirrels are just now beginning to feel comfy in the neighborhood again.
    I used to see dozens of them running through yards and along telephone lines but almost all of them either got eaten or scared away.

Advertisement
  5. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

Squirrels

For the first time ever, I actually saw a squirrel eating a twig and buds on my ancient crepe myrtle. This was when they were just breaking bud and maybe they taste good then. It wasn't from hunger, I think, because I buy sunflower seed for them. But I had heard stories of squirrels doing this.

Since I don't have a problem with deer, can someone please explain just exactly how this problem occurs? Do they come in the middle of the night? Are they fearless? Do you chase them off and they still return? Just wondering.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Blissful, we don't have a problem with deer either, but when we lived in town a "gated community" (not a prison facility) near us had a terrible deer problem. You could have a morning cup of coffee and watch the deer eating your shrubbery. Redbud trees were known as "deer candy". The deer would come in twos and threes, start nibbling on the greenery, and even if you went out and shouted and waved your arms (human appendages, not rifles) at them, they just moved to the neighbor's yard until you went inside. The deer had adapted to human proximity, and had little fear of humans, their dogs, or their noise. You have never seen as many caged shrubs in your life!

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni that is really cute. I bet the squirrels are glad you moved the feral cats out of the yard. I can't wait to see a pic of one sitting on the chair. :stew1:

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Cute feeder. Fortunately we had plenty of pecans last year... so our squirrels won't be hungry.
    Glad to hear that your's will be taken care of.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Did they find the feeder yet Toni? I agree with everyone about not wanting to see anything go hungry.