Old Friends Return.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

l IMG_8513.jpg IMG_8517.jpg IMG_8515.jpg IMG_8519.jpg IMG_8524.jpg IMG_8521.jpg IMG_8527.jpg IMG_8534.jpg IMG_8528.jpg IMG_8546.jpg IMG_8544.jpg IMG_8545.jpg Had a walk round with camera this morning and welcomed back these old friends of many years after their winters rest.

Frank and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

4. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Looks like you have many nice friends in your garden.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My garden has old friends returning too Syd. It's always nice to see that they've survived winter and are eager to grow again.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Kitty,Eileen. Old friends indeed and its really another happy aspect of gardening in that they are really good friends and given an even break all round its a friendship for life - can't be bad. Syd. IMG_8537.jpg IMG_8538-001.jpg IMG_8541.jpg

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great pictures and so much to look forward to. We are way behind you but we have some nice weather coming up next week. I am just hoping all of the frost ends soon. Of course we could get snow into June but it melts right away. I remember one year we had snow on our camper awning in June ....also hail that late.

Just looked again at the photos, are those wild violets I see? small purple flowers? They look like the ones I brought from our last home in a wooded area. I love them but they spread so fast and I keep an eye on them so they don't overtake an area. I also brought some of those trilliums with me. Those are very slow in spreading here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Sherry. Glad you like the pics and for sure your Spring will come so you have much to look forward to. Delighted that you noticed the little wild Wood Violets - sent pics of them recently ( A Good Show). A lovely little plant and occasionally they produce a white flower or two. You will see them in several of my pics at present because although as you say they spread rapidly I find they are easily controlled if need be and so allow them a more or less free hand - love to see their pretty heads popping up here and there all over the plot. I look closely at them in the hope I may see one day a double flower appear on one/some - I read this can happen. Syd.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Fabulous! I can't wait to greet my old friends in my gardens :)

10. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

Your old friends look great. They are starting just in time for this beautiful weather we are having!

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Netty - Riccur. Its always such a delight and a pleasure each early Spring to see them re-appear - I find that herbaceous perennials generally are more or less totally reliable and only the more finicky ones which sometimes give cause for alarm - even loss. I have been keeping a garden of my own going now since 1957 and it has given me immeasurable joy over all the years - seeing the old friends reappear being one of the greatest. Syd.

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMG_8555.jpg IMG_8559-001.jpg IMG_8568.jpg IMG_8569-001.jpg IMG_8567.jpg

More old friends. The lovely Lithodora diffusa Heavenly Blue just starting flowering, Luzula now with its brown "grass" flowers, Kirengeshoma palmata, White Dicentra now up to 20 inches high and first flowers, Mr. Bowles Golden Grass ( Millium effusum aureum) - another real splash of gold - this plant seeds about in its true colour so they are easily replaced say every second season by gathering up a bunch of them - I have a clump of Liriope with its dark green strap foliage and one of its seeds found its way into the middle of it - they now grow together - it looks great with its yellow foliage mingling in with the dark green - another example of Ma Natures handiwork.
    The variegated green/white, green/yellow Hostas are absolutely romping away but as always the blues/greens/ variegations of are just showing - have one tiny Hosta called Pandoras Box which is less than 3 inches high - that also is doing well. More friends later. Syd.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  13. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Glad ore of your old friends came. Back to see you.

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC01748.JPG DSC01754.JPG DSC01768.JPG DSC01767.JPG DSC01776.JPG DSC01759.JPG DSC01779.JPG

DSC01814.JPG DSC01812.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  15. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

I especially like your Hosta friends. They are my favs.

16. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Kitty. Thank you - its always a real treat to see them. These pics hopefully are interesting but also to those not as yet really familiar with the different plants it may help them to remember the shapes/names and learn for the future. Smilacina racemosa - much like Solomons Seal but perfumed flowers at stalk ends, Hosta var, Hemerocallis var, Hosta var, Aruncus ( Goatsbeard), Tradescantia with yellow foliage - normally green, Geranium var, Peony var, Hakenochloa macra aurea.