One thing always leads to another!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Donna S, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Why is that?
    We started out getting estimates to have attic insulated and a heat run put in the sunroom. Which turned into needing a 220 electric line. Which meant I had to empty my boa front china cabinet, because panel box was to close for my comfort or the electricians. That meant finding places of safety for my most valued keepsakes. A lot of places. Then we had to empty the attic :rolleyes: OMG. The Christmas tree was still up. So it came down in a hurry. Contractors were going to make a mess in the sunroom anyways, so we decided to make our own mess, as I wanted to replace carpet with something easier to clean. Might just as well paint the sunroom to. I did the painting yesterday and today. So this is where I'm at now. My kitchen and the garage looks just as bad. I think this is worst then moving. Anyone got a hot tub? I sure could use one right now.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna, pack up and come to Texas for a couple of weeks. We'll find something to occupy your time :rolleyes: !
    The memory of all the mess and disruption will fade with time and you'll have a lovely insulated attic and sunroom. Meanwhile, just grit your teeth and bear the mess (a shot or two of bourbon helps, too).

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Donna S, I would take marlingardener up on the offer...Looks horrible. I would be having a problem with that too.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Any kind of remodeling is horrible. I hope it doesn't take too long and you can get all your things back where you want them. Hang in there. You really enjoy it once it is all done.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your home looks a lot like ours did when we were getting the roof replaced and the upstairs had to be completely emptied out. I can safely say that the mess is worth it though when the work is done. Amazingly we managed to throw out quite a bit when we were putting everything back in its place. Now the rooms are so much tidier than they've ever been. :-D

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Jane, Thanks for to offer and I would love to pack up and head for Texas. But I need to stay here and be the BOSS. Contractors don't get away with much on my watch.

Barb & 2ofus, Remodeling does have it's draw backs.

Eileen, The kids are coming this weekend. Going home with any thing they want. If I don't have to move it again it's theirs. Some of it is theirs already and needs to be taken home. And I think there will be a big yard sale coming up next spring.

8. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

We call it 'scope creep' Donna, which covers all the things we didn't think of when we decided to do something. :rolleyes: It all sounds so simple,'just' getting one room sorted...

Good move getting your children to take home their 'stuff'. If they are like I was then they probably should have taken it years ago :p

I am sure that the disruption will have been worth it when you read your utility bills in the future!

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hey, come visit me in Tennessee! :)

I know it's awful right now, but think of the payoff! You're going to be SO happy when it's all done, and you get to de-clutter and reorganize in the process!

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Kiasmum, We sure hope the utility bills drop.
    Ronni, Your right I will be SO happy when it's all cleaned, polished and put away. I call it spring cleaning.

Electrician is finished. China cabinet back together. Ceiling, woodwork and wall in sunroom all fresh paint. . New floor on order. Hope to have it next week.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh Donna! Your photos look all too familiar! Funny how one project develops 'tails' involving yet another and another! Good luck with the work, I am sure it will eventually be so worth it!

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Donna, Oh Boy! Looks like a can of worms was opened up. It does seem like one thing leads to another when home repairs and such need to happen. It's the storm before the calm there! ;)
    When its all finished this will have been all worth it I hope! Good luck!

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Donna you mess reminded me of the time we first move into our new place and we have to live like that for six whole months. Yes I fully agree that it is all worth the trouble.