Organic weed control

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Catt, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Catt

Catt New Seed

Hi! I am new here, from Central Oklahoma. I have a problem. This property was total pasture when I purchased it. Working it has been a big pain, and very slow. I am an organic gardener and refuse to use the harse chemicals it seems everyone else has told me I need to use to prepare my beds. I have hostas and daylilies in one bed that are OK now, weeding was horrible until this year. But everywhere else I can't seem to get rid of the weeds and the Johnson Grass. It seems the more I pull the stuff the more it comes back. The only place I don't seem to have a problem with weeds and stuff is in my chamomomile and blue fescue. (elijah blue) Maybe because I am using them as ground cover? Is there anything I can use that will either get rid of the stuff or at least lessen it? I was told that boiling vinegar will work, but there is something about pouring anything that hot close to my flowers that scares me. Am I doomed to weeding every third day or so and yanking Johnson grass for the rest of my life?
    Thanx,
    Catt

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. amy
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. rockhound
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

4. Catt

Catt New Seed

Hi Frank and thank you!
    I did a little web surfing last night and read about soil solarization. It seems to be the easiest way to rid the lawn of the ugly stuff since I am talking about large areas. I have used the 20% vinegar for spots. But somehow I can't see myself spraying as much property as I have. The salt on the driveway is excellent! Kills everything, but you have to be careful with the salt because it kills everything. Will be ages before you can use whatever you put salt on to grow anything ever again.
    I'm going to start the solarization next weekend and if all goes well, I should be all set for my Fall planting.

Catt

5. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

If you have any unwanted weeds in areas such as driveways or terraces, there are a few organic methods that will help you get rid of the unwanted pests. Hot boiling water is one method of doing this. The heat of the water, when poured directly on the weeds, will cause them to shrivel up. I have also seen a few people suggest vinegar but be careful if you choose to use this. And remember don't use these on your lawn as chances are they will ruin it!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi Catt and welcome.

I quickly looked at soil solarization that you mentioned. That looks like a lot of work... first you have to totally dig out all vegetation and then "bake" the soil?
    I transformed a pretty good sized spot from total grass to a flower bed. I scrounged up cardboard from wherever I could find it. Laid it right on top of the grass/weeds and then covered with a good thick layer of mulch. Eventually everything under there died.
    A bonus is you can plant instantly... just cut through the cardboard and put the plant in.
    This will not keep weeds away forever... but it sure reduces them drastically.

7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Use carboard as a light block and liberally overlay cardboard with mulch (hay chips or straw).

Repeat forever.