Ornamental Grass ID - invasive?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by grkprncss30, Apr 15, 2016.

1. grkprncss30

grkprncss30 New Seed

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi Everyone!

I seem to have been over run with some kind of ornamental looking grass this year. It seems a little invasive, as it has spread pretty far. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That looks like the leaves of crocus plants.

There is a type of ornamental grass called Miscanthus nepalensis which has the white stripe down the middle of the blade like the one you showed; however, the ornamentals that I know have the white stripes down both outer sides of the blade.

I cannot ID this one 100%, but there are a couple of folks on here that are quite strong in identifying...so we will see what they have to say.

carolyn and CJay like this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wow. That looks just like a spider plant. (I have no clue the correct botanical name) comvit.jpg

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. grkprncss30

grkprncss30 New Seed

Haha, I actually thought spider plant for a minute too! But actually I think Sjoerd is correct. I usually do have a few crocus that pop up, but we had a very late snow, which unfortunately did a number on my spring flowers. I guess I didn't realize how much they spread! Thank you for reading and all your help!

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I agree with you, Ronni...but then how did it get in her garden...and so wide-spread?
    I love a good mystery.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

That looks like spreading "monkey grass" (liriope spicata) which is very invasive. It isn't a grass at all, but a type of lily so grass killers don't work on it. Digging it out, using a broad-leaf herbicide, or spot spraying with vinegar will slow it down or at least keep it from spreading.
    It will flower with a rather charming little purple spike, but by no means let it go to seed! Mow or cut it before the seed pods form.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm guessing Crocus.
    Crocus does have the thin white stripe down the middle of the leaf.
    Chlorophytum comosum 'Variegatum' (Spider Plant) has a very wide white stripe.
    And the Liriope I have found photos of have either two white stripes down the edges of the leaves with a green center or no white at all.

You could gently pull up one clump and see if there is as bulb at the base of the leaves or just roots. Crocus will have a bulb with roots. The others will have just roots.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think it is lariope, too. Crocus is a good guess looking at the small photo, but the large photo looks like a carpet of grass, not clumps of crocus. I usually has a spike of purple ball like flowers.

10. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I'm "team Crocus". :D