other beans

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by DawnsGarden, Apr 17, 2015.

1. DawnsGarden

DawnsGarden New Seed

Of the many discussions about growing beans, I've seen little to no mention of chickpeas,lentils, or kidney beans
    It seems most stick to pole or Bush beans.

Has anyone tried any other beans?

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I haven't!! But would love to hear if you do. I think another member of the Stew, Waretrop grows ALL kinds of beans...She's been pretty busy lately preparing her property for a garden show, so she is not on the Stew a lot lately. Maybe she will pop in & lend her thoughts.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, I need to spend more time here. I missed this thread completely. I DawnsGarden, I have grown all kinds of beans, some bush but mostly pole. Never lentils, chickpeas or kidney beans. Lima, northern and lots of odd things. I have eaten them fresh, and canned some, but my favorite way to save them over winter is to dry them either on the vine or just laying out or in the dehydrator. I like to do things in many different ways for different uses over the year.

I am sure this post isn't very helpful but I found it and thought I had better answer.....

Hi Cayuga Morning....You sweetheart....

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Here in the south the most common would be Green Beans. Not many grow beans for drying but a few do just for fresh or frozen beans and usually those are pinto beans. Most everyone here grows several varieties of peas such as purple hull, (the best and most common), red ripper,, pink eye and black eye peas, crowder ect. Few other less common varieties.