Our stunning nature.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Odif, May 20, 2017.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We are very lucky to live in a truly beautiful region. I will continue to add photos of natural beauty to this thread. For a taster, I took this picture of a waterfall nearby. You can actually get right behind the waterfall. We used to be able to swim in the pool underneath, but after a very heavy rainfall, a huge chunk of the mountain broke off and fell right into the pool.
    waterfall.jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Odif what a beautiful photograph!! I love to see waterfalls - they hold a fascination for me especially when the sun strikes them and you see rainbows.

Odif likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I like the look of that pic. Where is the area?---French side, Spanish side or Andorra? I suppose that it must be the foorhills.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Lucky you to live close to such a beautiful sight Odif! I'll be following this thread with interest :)

Advertisement
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

This is on the Spanish side close to Figueras just at the start of the foothills.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beautiful! I was stunned by the lovely Spanish country side, from Granada to Barcelona, and places in between.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, I see...you must get some fairly good conditions there. At least not as harsh as higher up.
    At any rate, it is a very lovely area, I remember that. I may have passed through your village in the past, as I have travelled to and through Spain many times. I even lived there for a year. Well, I have not been there for a decade or more, so I expect that there have been some changes.
    I just got back from the lottie and I have seen that our spuds are looking fairly good and they got weeded and earthed-up a bit.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We live in France 1 km from the Spanish border at almost 900m altitude, so we sometimes get as low as -15 celsius, but being up in the mountains we get a lot more rain in the summer than down on the plain in Spain or France. Our last frosts this year were at the end of April, we even had snow on the 27th of April this year. After mid May though it heats up enough to plant everything outdoors. It definitely does not get as hot as the plain though. Tomatoes often don´t do well up here because of the sometimes wet summers. Barcelona is 2 1/2 hours drive from here and Perpignan in France about 1 1/2 hours.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We live near the Canigou mountain, yesterday it took a heavy snowfall. canigou.jpg

Jewell, Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.
  11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I filled up my watering can with some stinky nettle potion and I caught this guy swimming around in it and so I fished him out with a stick. liz4.jpg This is a male blue headed lizard, the females don´t have the blue on them. They can be over a foot long. When I tried to get round to the side of him to get a profile view, he suddenly darted away.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The French side---I see. Lovely landscape foto there. I can visualize where you live and have probably been through your area a few times, as my bride and I always took different routes over the Pyrenees. The Perpignon-Girona / Barça was a route we more frequently took. I personally enjoyed going through Andorra, but the time of year sometimes was not ideal for my old VW bus. hahaha.

You do have some serious weather challenges there, good though that you can have a long enough season to grow a variety of veg and fruit. It is apparent that you have found a way to garden within the confines of the seasonal conditions. Chapeau.

Looking forward to more of your postings.

Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  13. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Chapeau to you to Sjoerd, for all your helpful advice.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Don't mention it. I hope that I can be helpful now and then, it's what this website is all about. Glad you are here. It gives us all a different gardening perspective, as your conditions there are different than many members. They say that diversity is the spice of life, or something like that.

15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Sjoerd, have you been through coustouges.

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Odif

Odif Young Pine

swimminghole1.jpg It got really hot, so we went to one of our favourite swimming places today.