Over planted cabbage again, need recipes for long term.

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, May 2, 2016.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Would love to find someway to freeze or can other than sauerkraut. Was thinking about chopping along with carrots and making a coleslaw mix and canning with a vinegar solution similar to how one would make pickles. Fresh pack the mix then cover with boiling vinegar and a 10 minute process time. I am not sure if that would cook the cabbage too much. Then drain to make coleslaw and add mayo dressing. What do you think ? Would it work? I always add vinegar to my coleslaw dressing anyway.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

You can freeze cabbage. Wash and cut it into chunks or wedges or shred, blanch it for for 3 minutes. Dip it into ice water and then drain. It is good used in stews, soups and shredded into casseroles.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I tried that a few years back. Mine had a funny taste and smelled. Is that all you do ? I did the same thing and was really bad.

5. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Yes, that is all I do. Mine never tasted "off" or had any odor. Hmmm so I don't know why yours turned bad. Sorry about that!

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I wonder if I let mine get too old ? As I remember it was a last ditch effort and it was at the end of the growth period. Oh my,, looking down on similar threads,, I see I asked the same thing last year.