Ow ow! :( Knee issues.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Last week I had some knee swelling and pain that was troublesome. It didn't hurt badly, but because I didn't want to make it worse I didn't go to my usual Friday night dance party. I hate to miss it, love to dance, but I know from experience that pushing through that kind of thing doesn't bode well for health of my joints. And as my legs are kinda vital to dancing...well, I just sucked it up and stayed home with my leg elevated and ice on the knee. (Actually it was a bag of frozen peas, but you know... ;) )

The pain didn't entirely go away though the swelling disappeared, and all week long I felt like something in there was...I don't know....catching on something, which didn't make any sense whatever and I wondered if I was having a stroke! ;)) And then yesterday I had the weirdest thing happen where there was a distinct kinda pop/click/crack feeling, not with any extra pain or anything, but momentarily my knee just gave way. And that pop/click thing has repeated several times along with that feeling that something is catching.

I've had weird things going on with my knees for a few years now, just randomly and infrequently, (like my knee locking for a few seconds till I wiggled it a certain way and then it freed up, random pain in my knee (mainly the right one) going down the stairs, stuff like that) and I figured it was just the touch of arthritis I've had for a while. But after doing a considerable amount of research I discovered that it looks like both my past and present symptoms are related.

All indications are that I have a meniscus tear, which can come on gradually over time just due to wear and tear on the joint, compounded by the bit of arthritis I've had for years. Getting old, folks! :p

Anyone dealt with a meniscus tear or injury? Looking for collective Stew wisdom so prevalent here! I know surgery is an option but damn if I'm going that route until I absolutely have NO other option! I'm looking into exercises, and a specific brace. Lots of info here, too:

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/knee-pain-and-popping.html

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

In my early twenties, my lower back went out of place and I was unable to move for a week. More than 1 doctor told me that there was nothing I could do. Occasionally this problem re-occurs. Notably about 2 weeks ago. For about 10 days I had intense pain. I carried on my chores (normally it's a joy) with a back brace and a grimace and barked at my closest when they tried to enquire.I can sense the beginnings of the problem and I make sure not to make the wrong movements. It was about 5 years since I last put my back out. Even if I have to crawl into my garden to weed the basil patch of giant amaranth, I still can.

Anyway, in my early thirties, I put my left knee out and for a year, the slightest wrong movement would put it out. Luckily I figured out easilly how to get it back in place. Anyway, the key to my situation is to try to not make the wrong movement. Hope this helps.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

For the general ache and pain of joints from minor injury or aging you could try taking Pantothenic Acid, comes in a pill and just might help with some of the joint problems.It is also sold under the name of Vitamin B5. Take 1000 milligrams a day for 10 days then slowly back off to one a day. It has worked wonders on Randy's shoulder and my oldest daughter's chronic knee problems.
    If it's a real tear then surgery is pretty much your only option.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ronni what you have already done is the right way to go. Elevated rest, ice packs and a limit on activity will all help. You can also support the knee with a neoprene 'sleeve' bandage (to reduce the swelling) and take non-steroidal anti inflammatries. If it's only a small tear it can usually mend on its own but a large one (I had this in both knees and eventually had to have both knees replaced) may need surgery. I hope your knee will settle down and you don't have to have an operation.

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Meniscus tears are usually dealt with by arthroscopic surgery. I did PT for a month before mine, a week off after surgery. Then 3 weeks of PT. I was back to work in a month. I work on my feet and walk a LOT. Fear not, and let not your heart be troubled, this too shall pass.

marlingardener likes this.
  7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I had arthroscopic surgery on one of my knees back in 1994. It helped for many years but it's gradually returned. I have no cartelege in my knees. I know I didn't spell that right but it's the smooth layer that's on the ends of the bones that cushion them when you bend them. Sort of like the stuff on the ends of chicken bones is what the doctor told me. I do wear soft knee braces on both knees to keep them from bending. dooley