Painting on wine glasses

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by cuatro-gatos, Sep 10, 2008.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Hey all you crafty stewbies!
    I've been reading up on painting on glasses, trying to get some idea's and tips. Anyone have any practical experience with this? I've read that less is more when it comes to the designs. I'm a bit
    worried about the baking part at the end of the process; the chemicals in my stove and smell etc.
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Plaid makes some acrylic paints specifically for glass and ceramics. You do have to bake them for about 30 minutes but since the paint is non-toxic I wouldn't think there would be a problem with harmful fumes in your oven or kitchen.
    I have some but haven't tried them yet.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I painted on mugs a couple of years ago, or rather, the children did. That was a non-toxic paint, but the smell was still quite strong during baking. It was easily aired out, though, and the children were very pleased with the result.

5. alena

alena New Seed

Hi....,
    Many people feel that gifts with a personal touch mean so much more than gifts that required little thought. Even more special are gifts that your loved one created especially for you. A wonderful gift for adults is hand painted wine glasses. These are not only useful, but also nice to display as a decoration. :-D

Advertisement
  6. aressa

aressa New Seed

Hand Painted Glasses

I paint on glasses almost everyday. I use Folk Art acrylic enamel and Pebeo paints. They are non-toxic and the fumes are not suppose to be harmful.

They certainly do make great gifts for people. They are not only pretty, but useful. I often have to encourage people to use them and not just sit them someplace to be admired. They are more durable then they may look.

I really enjoy painting them....Amy

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Amy, I have never heard of Pebeo paints. Is that the brand name? Where do you purchase the paint? And is it any different to the Folk Art? I painted coffee mugs many years ago, but it was a different kind of paint.

8. aressa

aressa New Seed

Pebeo Paints

Pebeo is sold at Michaels and Dick Blicks. It is very different than the Folk Art. I use the Pebeo priamarily on plates and coffee cups. It seems to be more durable, even though both paints are dishwasher safe. I feel my work is prettier using the Folk Art acrylic enamel, but still do pretty work with the Pebeo. The Pebeo gives more of a transparent, almost staind glass look.

Amy

9. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Gaylyn, you can get those paints from an art supply store/catalog (dickblick.com or cheapjoes.com, but a locally-owned shop is way better if you have one)
    Aressa, I'm so grateful that you posted that. I've wanted to try painting on glass for ages, and been scared off by the idea of baking them in the oven. So good to hear from someone who is really actually doing this.

10. aressa

aressa New Seed

Pebeo Paints

I have never tried cheapjoes.com. I will have to take a look at that. Anyway to get products cheaper would be wonderful!

I love painting on the glass. Just remember to place the glass in a cold oven and then preheat. Remove once it has completely cooled down.

With Folk Art acrylic enamels you only have to air dry for 1 hour prior to baking, but with Pebeo you have to wait for 24 hours. I definitely recommend waiting for that amount of time or at least close to it. If you don't, your paint may bubble and really look a mess when it comes out. I learned this from experience!!!!

You can really create some neat gifts or items for yourself .....Have fun!

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

well, they call it cheap but it's pretty much the same as everywhere else! Oriental Trading has the Vitrea paints, and you can get free shipping from them quite often.
    I actually did about three dozen coffee mugs several years ago, and the paint peeled off after a short time- I know I didn't wait long and I bet that's why they peeled, ugh!

12. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I am ready to hit Dollar Tree for the wine glasses/coffee mugs and then Hobby Lobby (only craft store we have) for the paint and get started. I would prefer the stain glass look, so if I don't get the results that I am looking for using Folk Art, I will consider ordering the Pebeo paints. Thanks all for the information.

13. bethie

bethie Young Pine

The Pebeo paints are Fabulous. Dishwasher safe even. We made a shelf for our dining room and before we made it I bought the inexpensive resterauntware and painted cups and plates just for it. They fired in the oven and were just beautiful. We made the shelves the right sizes to display them. I used the opaques and did flower designs. You can get coloring books at a big bookstore for design ideas. Hubby's sister used the translucent paints and did us an exquisite set of wineglasses also in flowers. Stunning! Her hubby turned the wineglass bottoms on his lathe. These paints are just GREAT!!!!The Peboe paints are a little expensive so plan to give some gifts to justify the expense. :)

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Well I hope some of you are going to post photographs of your glass and china painting. We have had kits before, well I say we, I mean the children have, where they paint a mug or plate and providing you follow the instructions, they seem to last and last, and these go through the dishwasher daily!

15. Martha

Martha New Seed

How long do you bake the glasses? ANd at what temp?

Thanks!!

16. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Lets see photos of some of your paintings.

It sounds cute to me..
    b