Parsley plants

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Edlou8181, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

I need some help with Parsley.
    I currently have 2 Parsley plants (1 quite old and 1 just planted this year)
    I would like to combine the 2 plants together,but not sure if its ok.
    The older plant has something I would consider woody,and of course the new plants are much thinner.
    The older plant is in possible peat moss and the newer is in potting soil,if that matters.
    Any help I would appreciate.
    I will wait on the transplant till I hear.
    ed

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ed,
    Parsley usually lasts two years--the first year nice usable leaves and stems; the second it becomes woody, the leaves get smaller and more pointed, and it sets seed.
    I'd leave the two plants separate. Your younger, thinner plants wouldn't enjoy competing with the larger root system of the older plant, and the older plant wouldn't enjoy being moved.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Doesn`t matter,, throw them together if you want. Older plants will get woody, you can cut them down almost to the ground and let them start again or leave them as you wish. If it were me I would toss the older plant and plant new seed for another crop. Use this years plant for cooking. When it starts to get woody your new one should be ready to use. That is crop rotation using two pot method.

5. CaribooValley

CaribooValley Seedling

Are they both the same kind of Parsley? If they are, why not just use the leaves off the newer plant.

If they are different types of Parsley, I'd let the "old" one go to seed this year and try to collect some seeds.

Hopefully if you have it planted in the ground, you will also discover some new plants springing up next year.

6. Meadow Walker

Meadow Walker New Seed

Hi everyone,

I'm new here to the forum. I look forward to meeting everyone and getting to know the members.

About the parsley: Woody parsley is old, and will form seed heads, and the leaves will taste bitter and strong.

October is the best month to start parsley for next spring. Parsley takes almost a month to germinate. Why not start several seeds in peat cups in a sunny window? Let them grow and overwinter in the kitchen or greenhouse. In late March, they'll be big enough to plant in the garden or containers.

You'll have a head start on raising the best tasting parsley by the time warmer weather arrives.

Frank likes this.