Passion vine dying! Please help!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pinkiered, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

As some of you remember, a few months back I paid a neighbor to mow and weedeat the yard. He butched my plants. When he weedeated around my passion vine, he cut it. I lost two vines because of him. I checked on it from day to day and it was doing fine. Well, this morning I left the house, watering before I left. I just got home and it looked like some of the vines had wilted. But when I went to have a closer look, I noticed that the area where the weedeater cut into the truck, is where the vine is that is wilted. When I looked closer, the cut itself is very soft to the touch and is black from the ground to the cut.

Today was the first day since July 3rd that it didnt rain (tho is about to start). I think its rotting.

How can I stop this? I love this passion vine and it would break my heart if I did.

Thanks a mill!

2. Loading...

3. bethie

bethie Young Pine

It doesn't look good for your plant. I would cut it off to the ground and just maybe it can put up from the roots. Is this a hardy passionvine or tropical? Do you have any problems with fungal diseases there? I use a product called Halt for fungal problems. 8)

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I live in the deep South so yes I have problems with fungus. I have never had a problem with this vine before, other than bugs eatting the fruit. Its dried out so hopefully its going to be ok. I think that whatever is making it sick has got in from the cut in the trunk. Its not soft today and I am holding off watering it. Im going to tranplant it out of the grould tomorrow and cut the vines back. Hopefully this will help. Ill try that fungus stuff you recommended. Thank you!

5. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

We had one that we decided we did not care for in its location so we wacked it to the ground and planted something else in its place. That was last year. It refuses to disapear. Shoots from the roots are coming up all over the place. I hope yours will sprout some new growth soon.

muddy

6. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

We have to bring these in for the winter here in CT. I often cut them back hard in the spring. I have noticed a lack of vigor after a few years of doing this.
    Remember you are really protecting the new growth with the fungicide. It won't make an infected leaf better.