Pasture visitors

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Aug 28, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The rancher to the north of us keeps a small herd of Black Angus. When he brings in the feeder calves, they don't know the boundaries yet and sometimes a few end up in our pasture. My husband went out today and found the breach in the fence, which we will fix. We don't know if the fence is ours, but we're sure the calves aren't!

Darryl and Darryl.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Sjoerd, Chrisle and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, MG (Jane), kind of neat visitors... Reminding me of Reba and her offspring, you haven't posted any news about them in quite awhile... Have they been moved away?
    Hank

Frank likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hank, Reba, Dilemma, and baby brown (BB for short) are still grazing and gazing next door. I"ll try to get a photo of all three together and post it. So far they have stayed at home!

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

possession.... 9/10ths of the law...get your branding iron out now.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Not too sure having beef cattle stray onto your land is such a bad thing. Can smell thick juicy steaks now ;) ;) :like:

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those visitors would be welcome here when the lawn needs cutting. We used to have the odd cow or sheep wandering down the main street here but the farm now has much sturdier fencing.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mending fences--that can be real work. They used to send me out by myself to do that when I was a kid. It was something to see when I would get out in the fields and come to gates...and on the gate posts between the fields I would see coffee cups that my uncle had left while he had been working out there. They were all over the place. I often wondered if he had any coffee mugs at home. :eek:

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, fence mending isn't all that difficult for us--the posts are cedar, and we use U shaped grips to attach the barbed wire to the fence. The only difficult part is getting the wire tight, but we have a pair of fencing pliers that are a big help.
    I think one of the bigger cows leaned too hard on the wire and bent it down enough that the young ones could hop over