Paulownia tomentosa A New Plant For Us

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by waretrop, Aug 6, 2016.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

20160806_150322.jpg
    This tree gets tall. We have some along a small stretch on a highway bout 20 minutes from our house. I have seen it along highways down south by Va, Sc and Ga. It has a large cluster of purple flowers like wisteria hanging all over it. So I made my hubby get out along the road and run into the woods to get a branch with flowers on it this spring. Got it identified. Looked at every garden center for a month and finally found it. Fast growing. I won't let it get very tall. I don't want that area to be shade. I don't let allot of trees get very tall. I just like them for the flowers or leaves or texture or bark. They don't need to be gigantic.

Anyway, turns out this tree makes very nice lumber. I have seen furniture made out of it and it doesn't have grain like oak but has a nice shading to it's finished product.

It's just one more thing we added to our gardens this year....

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I love the big wide leaves :)

4. waretrop

Yes and they are baby skin soft and a little droopy.

Islandlife likes this.
  5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

We have this and I cut it down to the ground (well about a foot up) in February. This gives us leaves the size of elephant's ears at the expense of flowers. Trouble is that it only flowers when it is a very tall tree,

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

Hey there Palustris, I will cut it this fall but not that short. I actually don't want it to bush out. If it runs out suckers. I will carefully take them out and pot them up. I have a little fenced in area where we have plants for sale. All suckers will go in that area. When I divide plants, just don't want them or over buy, they all go into the sale area. When people come to see our gardens and like a certain plant I may have something to offer them. Some people just like to look through that area. Everything has a bonus cheap price on it..

Also I am hoping it's the age or size of the root that enables it to put on buds.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I thought it was velvet weed at first..

8. waretrop

Oh yes, that is also called button weed. We have that too. Not the same plant. Lol

9. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Never seen suckers on ours, nor have I ever tried getting cuttings to root. It is supposedly easy from bought seeds though.