Photo wall ideas?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Platinum23, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Platinum23

Platinum23 New Seed

I have a blank wall I want to hang at least 4 photos on, they are all horizontal.
    image.jpeg I need photo arrangement ideas. I can use one or two more than 4 but not less. I don't want to use too many photos as we had a big photo wall in our last house and I want something different and less busy for this house. This is the only configuration I can think for 4 large photos? I want big sizes, like a3 frames.
    image.jpeg

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What size is an a3 frame and what are the dimensions of that wall?
    I have a couple of ideas but I need to know sizes first.

Platinum23 likes this.
  4. Platinum23

Platinum23 New Seed

The wall is H2500mm x W2250mm. A3 size is 297mm X 420mm :)

5. toni

So for us non-metric folks ..... the wall is 8 feet (98 inches) tall x a little over 7 feet (88 1/2 inches) wide and the frames are the basic 11 inch x 16 inch.

I am heading to bed, just popped in to see what was going on, but I will get back to you tomorrow with the idea I have.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

How formal do you want the wall to be? Are the photos done by a professional photographer of landscape, buildings, etc., photo portraits of family or are they the more personal ones you took of family on vacation or local scenery?
    There are other ways to go with that wall depending on what you plan on hanging there.

Formal look: stagger the photos _ - _ - ( I don't do graphics so imagine that those marks are the 4 framed photos you have) and you would probably want to add another to make the stagger look complete. Don't place them so close that the corners of the frames meet and the stagger doesn't have to be equally spaced, lay the photos on the floor until you get an arrangement that you like. If you space them a bit apart, then fill in some of the spaces between and around them with varying smaller sizes of framed photos. I would keep the frames all the same color so they blend in more and not overpower the photos. You could also lay them out in a pyramid shape _--_
    Just play with them on the floor before putting holes in the wall.

Informal look:
    I notice too that you have at least one fairly young child who will begin exploring with crayons and markers in the near future.
    If the photos are of family members, family groups on holidays, etc. Then save some of the masterpieces that your little one will produce, put them in bright color frames and intersperse them with the others.
    We have a wall in our hallway filled with our daughters artwork from her early school days. We didn't use frames, but bought the pre-primed lattice strips at a home improvement store and cut them to the needed sizes to outline the paintings since some were horizontal and others were vertical.

Even if they are formal photos, you could do a combination on that large wall. The top half for formal photos and the bottom half for family fun photos and your child's creations.

The thing about going the formal route is that it's fine if you want the wall to impress visitors. But it's your home and it should reflect you and your family since you all are the ones who will be looking at it 99% of the time. (That's why we have wall paper on a living room wall that makes it look a wall of a rustic log cabin) :D

Islandlife and Frank like this.
  7. Platinum23

Platinum23 New Seed

Thank you very much, that gives me ideas! :)

The photos are professional photos of our family and our kids, we had taken out in the bush. I want it to look fairly formal. I'm going with all white frames.