picture posting question

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, Jul 9, 2017.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

On one of my recent visits back here, I was thinking of posting a few pictures. However, it all looked like one now has to use a third party website to do so. I refuse to do third party website. It wastes my time, and uses up loads of data. I also don't like it at all. When I thought of reposting a picture from my gardens, you wanted me to use a link instead of just clicking on an image I already have here.

While I will come around sometimes, I just won't post pictures any more if that is the "new way" of doing things here. I just shut down my photobucket account, because I have no time to bother with them. I have a lot of responsibilities in real life, and I want to spend my time doing more important things. Photobucket is a huge waste of time... and they now charge money for wasting one's time. Feel free to browse the few pictures I do have here.

I do like you guys, but I just cannot post pictures that way. I don't see the smiley thing any more either.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi @AAnightowl , nothing has changed on the site recently. You can upload images directly to GardenStew just like always. Look for the 'Upload an Image' button below the box where you write your post.
    www.gardenstew.com/threads/how-to-post-images.34683/

Smileys are still here also. Maybe it's just an issue with your web browser? Try using a different one temporarily if you have one installed on your computer.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What Frank said....posting pictures is so much easier here than any of the other forums I'm on for other hobbies. For me, on a MAC, it's just drag and drop. The smilies too are simpler than ever. See that little smiley face just right up there ^^ over on the right hand side in the menu bar, above the posting window? Click on it, and then look just below your posting window....you'll see a large variety of emoji to choose from!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I move photos from my camera to monthly files in the Documents section on my computer then after cropping/adjusting color/resizing them with an image manipulating program called GIMP (like Photoshop but FREE) I upload them to GardenStew with no problem.
    Also....I name them and sometimes I have the plant name and a number after it so later I can choose which angle came out best. But I do also keep all the ones that aren't named and my computer files are huge.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Sherry8 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We use PhotoFiltre, which is also free and simple enough for even me to use. Re-sizing images, cropping, sharpening an image, it's all quite easy. After I finish on PhotoFiltre I name the image (e.g., nutsy rabbit) and put it in the appropriate file.
    We'd hate to miss your photos, AAnightowl.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thank you everyone. I will try again later to see if I can post and add some pictures. I prefer to directly post my
    pictures to here (or other sites), and if I can do that I will. I always give my pictures and files names, instead of that computer gibberish. I have Gimp on my other computer, I just have to remember to save things as jpg files instead of whatever they call files, because they won't open right otherwise. I have a lot of mowing to do today with a push mower, so it takes much longer. My rider is still down and awaiting the repairman (a friend of DS's).

My garden is very weedy this year, and keeping up takes a lot longer. I do have a green thumb for weeds!

I don't know why the picture thing came up with the third party thing, and not the easier one. I might try and see if the drag and drop works on my pc too? Is there a size limit on pictures to post? I know the resizing tool is a big joke in Photoscape, it always keeps the same MB/KB no matter what size you try and shrink it to... And Paint doesn't do it well either. I will try to pop in later, maybe on one of my breaks to cool off...

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

GIMP has image sizing so you can do it all there. I always scale my photos to a width no larger than 2000 pixels....that gets them accepted and GardenStew software takes care of the rest.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

There is a limit but it's pretty reasonable. Unless your photos are mega large you should have no problems.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I do end up with extra sizes of pictures on my computer the way I do it and when I get time, I usually delete the downsized ones...I didn't realize the photobucket is charging now...I haven't been there in years but I think my pictures are still there.

11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I too use The Gimp. Great piece of free software.