Picture Test, hopefully it works for me too...

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by AAnightowl, Jul 11, 2017.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have had a lot of deer lately. I have always had them, but lately they are closer to my house... and tamer. They sometimes graze in my yard while I am mowing the grass close by. And they eat off some of my porch plants too. Okay, my file is too large. What is the size limit? I will have to resize some things, and look for better software to do it. It is a royal pain on Photoscape... I wish they had an option for how many KB/MB you want something, instead of just shrinking the perimeters, and keeping the rest the same. I don't write software, but I have suggestions sometimes for those who do. (like getting them to get rid of this changing your zoom willy-nilly all over the place just because you move the cursor from one spot to another, or merely hover...)

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi @AAnightowl the size limit is up to 5MB per file. There is also a 2048 x 1536 limit on image resolution.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hi AA-the program I use on my computer for all my pic's is Picasa. It is simple and FREE. All you do it set the size of the Export Pictures tab. Then when you have a pic you want to export or upload to say Gardenstew, you click on that pic and click the export tab and it's done. Then when you are on say the Stew and you want to upload it to a post you have. You just go to your pictures tab click on that then click on the Export folder and click on which pic you want to upload.
    It is really easy. With Picasa you can resize, change the color, and do a lot of other neat stuff pretty simply. Hope that helps.

Henry Johnson, Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  5. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I do exactly the same as Tooty2shoes describes. When I open the ;Export' box found under the 'File' tab, I normally put 1000 or 1250 in the 'Resize to pixels' box. I have a folder on my desktop to which the resized files go making it easy to find them.
    Picasa is a pretty good basic editor and picture sorting FREE program.

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hmm. The file I tried to upload was only 3.1MB, not sure on the dimensions, will have to double check that part. I looked and the dimensions are 3648 x 2736, which is what my camera does.

The last time I checked Picasa, it was shareware, not freeware, and you had to be online to use it, and a password to access your own pictures, same with the Kodak program, so I ditched them. You could not even access your own pictures privately and offline. I refuse to put my stuff out in the cloud someplace...I have them in my computer and backup devices. I like the folder for resized pictures idea. I usually mark the names if made smaller.

It might be a day or two before I have a chance to browse for other photo software, and recheck Picasa. I have other responsibilities I need to take care of today.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AA-I just did a search for Picasa and they have discontinued that photo program. No wonder you can't find it to download. I can't believe that. I really like how easy it is to use. I have my photo exports set at 480 pixels and have no problem with them on any site.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have the latest edition Picasa 3 running on Windows 10. The only 'Web Albums' of mine are those that I up loaded to share with others, certainly not the tens of thousands of images in all my albums saved on my computer. If I want to I can remove any of those web albums.

Tooty2shoes and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi @AAnightowl,

There is a free program that will help you,..its Free,..its named FastStone Resizer,..see the link below.

FastStone Photo Resizer - Powerful Image Converter/Resizer

So what you do is select the pictures you intend to post in this forum,..be it one or many,..the best way is to place them all in a file and date it or name it,..just so you can find it/them.

Open up FastStone Resizer,..browse for your pictures,..click on the file,..they will then appear on the left of the program,..click on them and they will appear on the right side and ready for converting to what ever size you want,..you can select the size 2048X1536,..on the bottom right side of the program,..click Convert,.. and they will ALL be ready no matter how many in the file.

There will be two lots of the same pictures in Your Pictures File,..one lot the original size,..the other the converted size,..to save space on your computer you should consider deleting one of the files.

Hoping the above makes sense and helps you.

Tooty2shoes and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I was going to reply to it, since it was about problems posting pictures, and a number of you had made suggestions for resizing. Anyhow, it has been busy here, and I have looked around some. My youngest son was here this past week, and I asked him for some ideas, since he is into photography more than my other son. In addition to Gimp, which I have but am not too crazy about, he also suggested one I have not heard of and it did not come up in any of my searches. I have no idea but here it is:

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

It is freeware, but they would appreciate a donation if you can.

It is late at night, and I am too tired to play with it yet. I will try to play with it soon, and get back to posting some pictures.

Guess I will mention if it is easy to use or not. It says it is, and DS says it is. Well, I am not super techy like my kids, but medium techy so we will see. I once had ACDSee, but when I had to replace computers, it would not work again. I liked that one, because it was easy to clean up duplicate files. I have a program or two for that, but have not tried them yet.