Pine trees

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by kuntrygal, Mar 20, 2008.

1. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I know many of you live in areas that have pine trees. This is the time, I say, that the pine trees are peeing'. They make such an awful mess and cover everything with the pollen. It is hard to work outside because I am so allergic to them. Have tried using a mask, but feel like I am suffocating. And that doesn't help my eyes. The first time I lived in East Texas, I didn't know about pine trees pollinating. So it was nice weather and I had all the windows up (at night... in the country). Woke up the next morning to find my white town car, pee green. I soon figured out the reason and noticed everything in the house was covered with it. Seems like it took forever to get everything clean. And of course I closed the windows and left them closed until the trees were through peeing!
    Does everyone else that has to put up with this, hate them as much as I do??? :-x

2. Loading...

3. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

kuntrygal:

I have the same problem here in NY, there are several pine trees that line my driveway. During the time that the pine trees pollinate, I tend to keep the windows closed on that side of the house and my car, it is such a pain in the butt, because it's so hard to get the sap/pee off my car...LOL...

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The worst here is birch pollen. It coats everything yellow, and people who suffer from allergies are nearly unable to go outside. The firs can be bad too, but nothing beats the birches.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have the same problem except I have a huge pine in the back and a cedar just outside my bedroom.I'm allergic to both.

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Glenda, you are caught between a rock and a hard place aren't you?? I'll be so glad when it is over that you may hear me hollering !! ;)

7. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

That is not very nice to be allergic and all the trees seemingly ganing up on you.
    I am fortunately nor allergic to pollen, and furthermore Pine trees (Pinus sp.) are classified as invasive alien plants and thus there are so few around - in fact only those that has been there before the 'classification' and now new ones are to be planted without permission from the authorities. :stew1:

But I do have empathy with those who suffer these allergies as my nephew suffers the same fate and spends a lot of time in hospital due to his allergies - the poor chap is only 7 years old and has seen more of a hospital inside than most people desire to see. THe only time is he happy is in winter.

8. LilyPlanter77351

LilyPlanter77351 Seedling

I feel for you Kuntrygal, I am in the big middle of the piney woods here and since the paper company owns alot of land around me it's like a yellow snow is everywhere! My black lab is now almost chocolate in color when I bring her in thanks to all the pollen, such a mess all around with the pines. Luckily no one here is allergic, I can't imagine how miserable it must be for you this time of year, even without the allergies Emily and I wake up sneezing in the mornings.

9. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We used to have a backyard lined with pines at our previous home, I remember when the wind would blow in the spring and you could literally watch clouds of yellow pollen lifting and swirling from them. Coated everything. I'm thankfully not allergic myself but my poor husband was miserable. We get enough rain here it usually washes it all down pretty quick, it must be awful where you have a drier climate.

10. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

My sympathies on the allergies. I also have allergies (year round) and despite them I love to be outside, at least during the spring, summer and fall. I hope you get through it quickly.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I don't hate pines but I do know enough now to close the windows when the pollen starts. Just like you I had the windows open and it was over everything in the house. It was always windy in that area (like Here) and we had pine trees on both sides of our property...so close your windows unless you want a very big mess inside...

[​IMG]

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Ooo, nice picture! Look at the lovely trees. :)