Plant ID among my wildflower seeds

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Tooty2shoes, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

In the spring I had a packet of wildflower seeds that I sowed into a corner of my flowerbed. Now I have this unusual flowering plant that grew. I have done an online search but have come up with nothing that looks similar. So here it is--- DSCN3614.JPG DSCN3606.JPG DSCN3608.JPG The striped looking upright pods are seed pods. At first I thought it was some kind of penstemon. But no such looking plant when I did a online search. So what is it? That will determine wether I should let it keep growing or get rid of it. Thanks a bunch for your help.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zigs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

purpleinopp and Frank like this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni, like I said. You are just such a wizz when it comes to IDing plants. I knew you could solve this one. Thanks so much. I will have to save the seeds and plant some more of them. I love the wildflower self sowing look in my beds more and more every year. Although they can look a big messy. The birds and butterflies do not care. I think they like it that way.

5. toni

You're welcome. I am persistent if nothing else, I just keep trying different key words and eventually either the plant comes up or some related site gives me a clue as to where to look next.

I have several packets of assorted wildflower seeds that will be scattered out in the h*** strip this fall since the street construction is completed on our block. I am hoping for a butterfly/bee haven next Spring and Summer.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I looked up the plants botanical name and I believe it is--Oenothera Glazioviana. I had also found an article that said that all of the plant is edible. It was a very interesting read.
    I hope you do have a bee/butterfly haven come spring. I also read that it is a non-native to the US. Go figure. Such a neat plant anyway.

7. toni

I saw that one but since the name of the other one comes up in the list of seeds on most Wildflower Seed Mix packages in this country I went with the Oenothera biennis instead.

purpleinopp and Tooty2shoes like this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Okie dokie and thank you again for your quick helpful answer.