Plant ID please, greenish almost purple hue coloration for leaves

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Sharalyn Anderson, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Sharalyn Anderson

Sharalyn Anderson New Seed

So, this plant showed up kind in a random place in my garden in between my spinach and sweet pepper area. I know for certain this is not spinach and I do not believe this is a sweet pepper either, but I'd like some opinions on what this is. It has a greenish almost purple hue coloration for leaves and more of a reddish almost purple stem as you see in the photo. Could this just be a weed?.

I did plant ground cherries, but they were placed in the ground away from this plant.

Let me know guys, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

I don't know what the name of it is but I get those weeds in my veggie garden every year. I would take it out.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have some of those growing in my garden too and I think they're called Blood veined Docks. I rather like their colouring and transplant them into a space of their own in the garden.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I had to look them up as I hadn't seen them. Some of them are very ornamental and used in flower gardens. The article said the young leaves are edible but also high in oxalis acid so use it sparingly. I'm glad I looked it up as it likes moist ground and is often used as an ornamental near ponds.

6. Sharalyn Anderson

Sharalyn Anderson New Seed

I let it grow up and turns out, it is a ground cherry. The seed must of got stuck to my pants and got planted away from the others but it is definitely a ground cherry. My other ground cherry plants came up and they are identical to this one, so it was a ground cherry. Thank you guys though.

purpleinopp likes this.