Plastic vs Clay vs Wood vs Ceramic/Pottery vs Other

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Islandlife, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I'm actually asking preferences re: what is the BEST type of container for an outdoor plant.

I have clay plant pots of various sizes and while I like the look of clay they invariably start to break down after a couple of years outside given the rain/freeze/rain/thaw/snow. Nor do they retain water well.

I also have plants is big plastic pots that also tend to break down but then they're PLASTIC (not always the most esthetic of containers) however they require less watering.

I have a couple of cement/concrete plant pots that I've had to line with plastic otherwise they dry out almost immediately and tend not to do too well with acid loving plants.

Wooden half barrels here require a mortgage be taken out against the house and the actual half barrel size is shrinking too BUT wood, I've found, has been an excellent medium to grow in.

I've just bought yesterday a humungus and super heavy pot from China that is glazed on the outside but clay on the inside. They're about 26 to 28" across but only 1 tiny drain hole (at least they drain). Am hoping this will hold up better in the weather as the glaze comes over the lip of the pot.

Anybody have any sure fire solutions to which type of plant pot is best? or preferred? or easiest to grow plants in? Suggestions suggestion suggestions :) :) :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I use, or have used all that you have mentioned. My glazed pottery stays on the covered patio through the winter, the plants die but the pots have lasted 4+ years now with no damage. I generally only plant annuals in pots so they aren't going to last anyway. If I want to save any plants over winter I cut them back and bring them inside. The rest of my pots are put in my un-heated garden shed during the winter. Semps and sedums do fine with no water during our long very cold winters. I'm sorry that my advice doesn't help if you are planting perennial plants or shrubs.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I've got mostly bushes and sedums planted in various pots. I'm more of less happy with all of them and, I guess, I'm looking for the "perfect" pot. I've eliminated most of my small outdoor plant pots and they're too high maintenance meaning I have to almost water daily, they get root bound too quickly so I'm forever transplanting.

I decided to get rid of the little ones and go for bigger pots. I like the look of the red clay pots but haven't found they'll last and that is partly my fault as I don't haul them in over winter (too old, can't lift - my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;) ). The glazed clay pot I got yesterday was big but cheap $7 (but don't know how it'll last) whilst a bit bigger "Plastic" pot was something like $46!! (FOR PLASTIC! I'm almost offended!)

Good to know though 2ofus that your pots have lasted 4 yrs. Gives me hope that mine will last that long too. :) :) :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I keep plants in the greenhouse for winter and bring them out for summer. How I pick a pot for them is, ceramic, clay, plastic or cement, where they will be located. Buy a hose or not.....LOL Clay must be within hose reach at my little hillside farm... LOL Far away stuff will be in plastic. Also things planted in cement or stone will not be far away from the greenhouse door where stupid and ugly large plastic pots will be wheeled farther from the greenhouse for they weigh less.... It's all for good reasons.....

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@ Waretrop - I quite identify with your reasoning.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sometimes I make a mistake or decide something has to live in a new place....Maybe a large heavy cement pot of something coming out of the greenhouse and the hubby gets it on the hand truck. He asks where it should go and I point, "200 feet up hill, over there..." He says, "NO". I either have to change place or pots cause he just won't do what I ask. (SOMETIMES) LOL

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Different types for different plants.

Cacti, native prairie grasses and Sedum need good drainage so clay is usually best for them as the water evaporates quickly after a rain. Any plant that prefers life on the dry side will love clay pots.

Unless it's tightly sealed wood pots will lose moisture through evaporation too, so again plants that need dryer growing conditions.

Plastic with proper drainage is what I use for most plants. Especially for large plants, much easier to move if necessary. And plastic comes in some pretty designs that from a distance fool the eye into thinking it is pottery or ceramic.

Glazed pots are also not so good for plants that need dryer conditions since the glaze prevents evaporation but most other plants will do just fine in them.
    Winter problem with the glazed ceramic pots is if there is even the slightest crack or chip in them that will allow moisture to get in, in winter the moisture freezes and expands and eventually breaks the pot. They really need to be taken inside to a dry location during winter, if you have ice and snow then.

Islandlife and waretrop like this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - Hadn't quite crossed my mind re: grasses needing it on the dryer side but will file that one away for future thought when I'm thinking grasses. (Good tip)

I grew up in "Hippy" times and seem to hold a belief that everything must be 'natural' ie. clay pots but as I've gotten older I've gotten practical so I understand the benefits of plastic.

I was looking at pots and we've gotten a bunch here that are sort of plastic but sort of like fiberglass. Wonder how in the long term they'll hand roots?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. I generally use plain plastic containers as their appearance does not bother me since they stand out in the open garden and are full of foliage - can understand on patios etc more decorative ones used if required .
    I have spaced around the plot twelve tall Bamboos and plain plastic containers were not the best for them - they in time becoming brittle and splitting etc. I hunted around and found a source of some 60 litre ones made from recycled (reconstituted?) car tyre rubber - these are described as unbreakable and do have a hardish rubbery feel about them - have handles to the tops and side drainage slots.They are doing very well and no signs of any problems as yet.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. kate

kate In Flower

Plastic they say here. I know I have the heavy clay pot, just one and with compost added it weighs a ton.
    I did lose a clay pot in 2010 severe frost so never bought any more.

Probaby plastic due to recycling.
    K

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@kate - I've lost a couple of fairly nice and decent looking clay pots due to weather in fairly short order too. I tend to like clay but am also aware it doesn't really last too long in this area.

Half barrels would be my preference for some of the larger plants as they do last a long time but the cost is prohibitive - $199.99 right now at one of the local garden centers.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

As we get lots of rain here and i have many Terracotta Pots and of course they don't dry out,..i find them very good and will not blow over even with Hydrangeas in them,..these are the 18 inch wide pots,..however they will break if given a drop,..so i have started to buy flexible 18 inch builders rubble containers with handles attached,..no holes at the bottom,..i drill holes about an inch from the bottom so water will always be there at one inch and have stones in the bottom so the roots are not standing in water.

I like the new type flexible containers as well,.. as they have a hole about an inch at the side so excess water will flow out,..there is a tray just above the water level to keep the roots from being soaked,..ideal for Hosta plants.

Plastic rigid containers will in time get brittle and split or break,..these are the worst buy,..as for young plants coming along its a variety of flexible pots,..some are 12 years old and still as good as the day i bought them.

Islandlife likes this.
  14. kate

kate In Flower

Thinking on that half barrel. I have one and never used it. I may make a feature in it for Spring with loads of different Spring bulbs.
    I only have one clay pot left now and the winter last year was mild.
    K

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@kate - a barrel full of spring bulbs would look gorgeous. Back in the day we used to be able to get real oak barrels. The contrast of real wood with plans was beautiful. Now the ones that are being sold here are pre-made (they are not real barrels) and look (ahem) cheap. They don't seem to weather well either.