Playing in the Mud and Rain

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well by Easter, those rabbits had pushed me right over the limit. They polished-off my permanent poppies and phloxes. Those were the last plants that they had eaten this spring, and the straw that broke the camel's back. ---now that I think about it, it has almost broken MY back ;) I say that because my partner and I have spent all yesterday working in the rain and mud to place more thank 17 yards of plastic-coated fence to seal-off the flower garden.
    It was such a nasty job, but I was at the end of my tether...really. I have been watching my perennial plants disappearing one by one the past month.
    I find the fence a terrible thing which takes away a bit of the charm of my flower garden, but I really did not know what else to do. I had tried all the legal means but there are not many. Laws prevent one from shooting these beasts or trapping them or injuring them in any way. Falconry and use of ferrets was a possibility, but the people who would do this shyed-away in the end and did not show up.
    It wasn't just my garden but there is a plague of rabbits on the complex at the moment. I suspect that there may be more than 100. When you walk or bike down the paths, they scurry before you.
    Dishartenig really. A few gardening members have left because of the problem. A couple were long-timers. Sad.
    Well, it is in place now and I shall make some gates when the weather and time permits, For now I have simply wired a piece of chicken wire across the openings so that humans can step over them if he goes on his tiptoes. A stretch for my bride, but she can just make it. She finds it all way too hideous and says that it gives a feeling of a concentration camp. I know what she means, but I hope that the flowers in the summer will help take the edge off the way it now looks.
    The up-side is that I can now get some new plants and plant them...ones that I could not get the past few years because of the brown marauders and their insatiable hunger.
    Well, the fotos do not convey what work the installation truly was, but it gives an idea.
    When we were finished, we tried to clear-away the mud with shovels and a big, stiff broom...to no avail. We will just have to let the rain ash it away and brush it again once the residue dries.
    West looking eastward---
    [​IMG]
    Down low at mud-level--
    [​IMG]
    East looking westward--
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, poor you. All that hard work and then you find the result ugly as well. I remember the work we had trying to fence our pet rabbits in, but their pen was nowhere near as big as your plot. I hope it works, may your flowers grow and prosper!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maybe the plants will poke thru the fencing and hide it a bit.

I have had to encircle individual plants with chicken wire fencing in the past when there were a couple of rabbits running wild in our neighborhood. I think they eventually ended up as dinner for one of our neighbors a couple of years ago since I haven't seen them around lately.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I had the same problem last year with rabbits eating my shrubs. This winter I was blessed when a fox took up residence nearby. I hope the fence keeps those rascally rabbits away and your garden flourishes.

Advertisement
  6. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh my I do not have a rabbit problem, but I can empathise with what you are going through. Around here out rabits are two legged ones that have no scruples.

I tend to agree with Toni on this one. TO every cloud there is supposed to be a silver lining. and who knows maybe you plant different types of climbers that will hide the unsightly fencing.

My goodness Toni - that must have been a sight - fencing around individual plants.

7. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Looks like it took a lot of hard work. Best of luck with your new plantings and look on the bright side, the flowers should help to hide the fence once things start filling in.

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

That's one heck of a lot of fencing to have to put in - I am sure as the plants grow upward they will soften the effect, here's hoping it helps stop those critters!

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

In Arizona they have free range laws so you have to fence anything you want to keep animals, large and small out of. We had cows one year munching on our garden. Javalina destroy many a garden of newcomers who don't realize the destruction they can cause. They are "ugly" cute and people try to feed them. We have rabbits but the stray cat problem has been taking care of those, plus the coyotes. The stray cats have been digging in my pansies because the ground is soft and a fence doesn't keep them out. The neighbor is having the same problem. I plant morning glories and cardinal vines on the fence. The fence seems strong enough to hold them. I hope you have lots of beautiful flowers now. dooley

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks you guys for your supportive comments.
    Poor Toni...I actually thought about doing exactly what you did, but after a survey, decided that there were way too many plants and it would just look to off...not to mention the extra work. ;)
    I think that it would be great if a fox woulf take up residence on the complex, I have a little corner for him on my plot. hahahaha
    You guys in arizona REALLY have something to deal with there don't you though. What a variety of browsers you have, Dooley. I should count my lucky stars, I reckon.
    Lets see....one......two............

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

If you need some help counting, Heather's little boy Trey loves numbers. He is four and is very smart. dooley

12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I don't think it looks at all terrible Sjoerd. Of course it would be better without but as you and others have pointed out a few heads peeking through the wire should conceal it somewhat. Best of luck.

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a pity there's no way to actually rid the allotments of those rabbits!!! I know I wouldn't be happy at having to erect fencing either but if it protects your plants then I don't see what else you could have done Sjoerd. :( Maybe you could plant something really prickly along the length of the fence that would look good but that the rabbits wouldn't munch on. You and your partner have certainly been hard at work to get so much done and in such dreadful weather conditions too. Now just let's hope those darned rabbits stay away!!

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have a rabbit problem too. Not 100 , I just see one at a time but one rabbit can do alot of damage in a night. In the summer I spray Liquid Fence...it smells terrible but all summer I don't worry about the flowers. ( unless I forget to spray again). You just should not spray when people are having supper...the smell is so bad...I try to do it right before dark.

I don't think the fence looks bad either...once everything starts blooming, you won't even notice it.. we live too close to the airport so we can't shoot them but we do trap them and drive them out into the open country fields..

15. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sjoerd, can you plants some flowering vines to hide the fence?