Please help. My crepe mrytles are down hard!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Leslie Hoffer, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Leslie Hoffer

Leslie Hoffer New Seed

Good morning everyone. I am new here and am hoping someone could help me. We had these crepes planted two years ago. The first year hardly produced any blooms. This year we were so excited to see it would be a big year for blooms. Then this happened. The rains took them down hard. I don't know what to do with them. Can anyone offer some advice. Many thanks!
    IMG_20160822_0754196_rewind.jpg IMG_20160822_0754457_rewind.jpg IMG_20160822_0755095_rewind.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I am not a crepe myrtle expert, or even a shrub expert. Looks like they need some external support while they fix themselves and regain their uprightness. They kind of look like tree limbs look sometimes when they're heavy with snow or ice.

Frank and Miwrld like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What's your USDA zone and are they in full sun?
    We have two large ones in the hellstrip out front that are about 45 years old and they always sag like that after a rain. When they dry out they should perk back up just fine. If they don't you might consider trimming them back a bit after they bloom. They are very hardy trees in the south, trimming doesn't bother them at all. Just don't let anyone commit Crepe Murder on them, that creates a lot of very thin short branches that break easily in heavy rain.

Welcome to GardenStew by the way.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Frank likes this.
  5. Leslie Hoffer

Leslie Hoffer New Seed

Thanks Ronni and toni. I am in 7a zone. Yes, I have a large crepe as well and it never gets like this. These two are dwarf crepes and because they are so young I don't think their branches have gotten sturdy enough yet. So I just went out there and shook the daylights out of them to relieve them of the water and some blossoms. The larger one came back very nicely. The smaller one I tied together to keep it upright. I will untie after the blooms fall and then reassess. I also think it will be ok. Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement
  6. Miwrld

Miwrld New Seed

They need outside support
    In the winter cut them back halfway
    It will make the trunks stronger. Shake them out to rid some of the weight....

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I would call them long and gangley, for unknown reasons. Sometimes that happens when you DON'T cut something back in fall when it needs to be. You get all top growth, loss of lower leaves and spindly stems. I agree with Miwrld, cut the whole thing at least half way back in fall. Some years I cut my Crepe Myrtle back and some years I don't.

8. allen tucker

allen tucker New Seed

I am gratified to know that crepe myrtle hates it there. The summers aren't sufficiently long and hot. so your crepes myrtle are down hard.