Positive proof I'm crazy

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Jan 26, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yesterday I got a phone call from the local home for the elderly, asking if I'd like to "help" with their Valentine's Day party. I said I'd be happy to help out.
    Then came the "uh oh moment." I asked who else was helping so I could co-ordinate with them and provide side dishes, dessert, whatever. Well, guess what, I'm it! There are 40 residents, and the dietitian will give me a list of forbidden foods and the activities coordinator will give me an idea of the party activities.
    I've combed my cookbooks and have a good idea of non-salty snacks, non-sugary treats, and easy-to-eat goodies that don't require a fork or knife.
    I'll start cooking this weekend and stuffing the freezer. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to the party, and that is positive proof I'm crazy :smt119!

2. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

But that's a GOOD kind of crazy! So kind of you to do the Valentine celebration for them.:heart:

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

You make be crazy but it's a good kind of crazy! I'm sure all of your work will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane we've all known for ages that you're crazy but we love your kind of crazy. :) There should be more folks like you in the world. I know you'll make Valentine's day special for everyone in the home.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh dear me, you ARE crazy, but in a heart-warming way. Good luck with all the preparations. I do wish somebody would help you though. It seems like a lot of work, but I'm certain it will be much appreciated. You're a lovely person, despite your craziness. :smt054

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That's great MG! Maybe you could rustle up a helper ... that sounds like a lot of work for just one person!

7. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Aww [​IMG]
    You are the kind of crazy that restores my faith in people.

I don't know if you have a Pinterest account, but there are some cute ideas there for Valentine's party snacks, crafts and activities which might be helpful - just a thought.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you all for your kind comments--here in the looney bin there aren't too many kind words floating around!
    Zuzu, I don't have a pinterest account but a friend does, and I'll take a look at the snacks. Fortunately the activities director is taking care of the party activities (go figure!) and all I have to do is finger food.
    I decided to use different colored trays for diabetic, lactose intolerant, low sodium, and I-can-eat-anything foods. The director will have the appropriate colored heart for each person, and we'll know what to offer without making a big to-do over what someone can and can't have.
    I've been working on a friend's guilt complex, trying to get her to help serve. So far, her complex isn't kicking in :smt013.

Droopy likes this.
  9. eileen

I love your idea of different coloured trays Jane. Crazy woman you might be but with more than your share of good, old common sense.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I can only say...good luck. :)

marlingardener likes this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

How did it turn out? I would of loved to help you but I never like being the one making all of the decisions. I used to be a girl scout leader, etc. and I just want to step back .

The idea of the colored trays sounds great, did it work or did you have people sneaking off the tray they weren't suppose to? I had an uncle that would go for a walk while in the hospital and actually leave the place and go eat some place else. I am not sure if he ever did get caught. But they are strict at a hospital and he was diabetic.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry8, it went well, thank heavens! I would have loved your help--if I get roped into something like this again, I'll give you a call and you can have a "vacation" in Texas!
    No problem with folks sneaking--we had some of the nurses' aides and myself passing the trays around to the tables and we had place cards, so people with the same dietary needs were seated together. We avoided "plate envy" that way!
    We had small sandwiches with either a meat pate or vegetable pate filling, lettuce wraps with a tuna filling, marinated chicken strips, vegetables with dips, fruit tartlets, cookies, cake, and fruit salad. The herb marinated chicken strips were looked on with suspicion until one or two of the braver souls tried them. After that, they were snapped up. All of it except the cake was finger food, and the cake was a bar cake cut in small strips, so it was easy to eat. I took a fruit punch, and also had plain iced tea.
    No one complained, which for a retirement home, must be a record!

13. eileen

So pleased that everything went so well Jane. All your hard work paid off and was, obviously, appreciated by one and all. Now you can sit back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Actually if you can sit down and pat yourself on the back you're a better woman that I am!! :rofl:

marlingardener likes this.
  14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds like a success! Now you have a whole year to plan next years party! ;)

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gosh Netty, you sure know how to cheer me up! Next year I may take a long vacation in February.
    The funny thing is that the activities director asked me if I'd like to "help" with the Easter egg hunt. I envisioned boiling and decorating dozens of eggs, but no, they use the little plastic eggs that come apart and have a small present inside. Then there is a huge swap so everyone gets something they want. I may get back at the director and stuff those temporary tattoo thingys into the eggs! Tats for everyone!

2ofus likes this.