Potato question, the leaves died but are growing again.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Growingpains, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I'm sorry. I know there is a potato topic already, but either I am blind or that topic is so far back as to elude me.
    My question is,
    is it unusual for potato stalks to be turning brown and suddenly put out new growth? I thought I would be harvesting them in a week and yesterday I noticed lots of new growth near the base. Today there is lots more. Shall I wait? Shall I go ahead and harvest?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm not a potato expert, but I would tend to think that the new crop of potatoes has sent up new leaves. How long were they in the ground?

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Have you dug around the base of one of the plants to see how big the potatoes are?
    It sounds like the potatoes are sending up new shoots, as Netty suggested. If so, harvest immediately!

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Dig up one plant and see what you have. Leave them too long and the may rot in the ground. If the tops have died back dig them up.

Advertisement
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Potatoes

The new growth seems to be coming from the same stalk and some new growth on the end of the stalks. I appreciate all advice and I will dig up one plant and see whats going on beneath the soil.

7. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I'm no expert either, parents do the veggies. But I'd guess that doesn't sound too good.
    I'd also check to see if the potatoes are all grown up and dig them out.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Potatoes

I think I jumped the gun. The vines aren't as brown as i thought. There is green on the tips and at the bottom. I dug up one batch and there were tiny potatoes growing at the bottom and not from the other potatoes. In fact, the full grown potatoes weren't even attached to the vines. They were in good condition. I have decided to let them grow awhile longer, so wish me luck.

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

In case anyone cares, LOL, this is the latest on my potato crop. Fearing premature sprouting, I pulled the stalks or vines out, to which were attached tiny potatoes. After digging the small crop of potatoes, I replanted the vines, watered them well, and they are still growing. When they die, I will check to learn how the tiny spuds have grown. Am I onto something new?

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Could be ! I have never tried that. But you could have just left the vines in the ground and removed the larger ones like we do for new potatoes. We harvest new potatoes through out the growing period. Usually when the potatoes are about golf ball size is when we start digging, then just put dirt back over roots. Only problem you may have is not enough growing time. Let us know what happens.

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

We bury our seed potatoes in a deep trench, so we have to dig deep and that means removing the stalks. So far the leaves remain green and I have high hopes for at least golf ball size potatoes.

12. CoolAsACucumber

CoolAsACucumber New Seed

You are so lucky. I can never get potatoes to grow. It sounds like they are doing well in your garden.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Potatoes

Cool, it took three years before we finally got it right and actually grew more than a handful. Just when you decide you've had it, you'll get a decent crop.

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Growingpains and coolasacucumber: Up until this year we always had a problem growing potatoes because we have such heavy clay soil. So we built two raised beds and put a good layer of aged horse poop on the bottom and a nice loamy soil on the top. In one we planted potatoes and in the other we planted onions, tomatoes, a yellow peppers.
    Both raised beds are growing super. I can't wait to see what the potatoes look like.
    One thing that I never knew until I did some more reading about growing potatoes is that you should wait for 3 years before you grow them in the same place in ones garden. :eek: I guess it's because of disease issues. So next year we will plant them in the other raised bed. :stew1:

15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Potatoes

I read that I should plant potatoes where the garlic was the past year, so thats where I plant them.
    Your method sounds great. I hope to get chicken manure this fall and maybe again in the spring.

16. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Potatoes

We waited, and waited, and waited. Enough alreday. We pulled out plants and dug the paltry potato crop. Total of about 5 pounds, but this has been an unusual year for gardening here. Not just for us. For most farmers.
    Now that its cooler, or was before today , the garden is more productive. Beans are producing. Tomatoes have a chance to grow. There is hope yet.