Pottery and Porcelain.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Ref those two old Vases in previous post. Just for interest this. My M and F in Law lived for many years (wife grew up in it) in an old Cottage (18th or earlier Cent) in a small village. This Cottage was just two rooms up and two down - one of the two down being the living room which one walked straight into off the front step - immediately to the right was a steep short half spiral staircase. In that room was an old Kitchener Stove with the fire grate central, an oven on one side of this and a "boiler" with brass tap on its other - the water got hot having the fire right next to it. The Stove was regularly brushed and polished each week and shone, the liquid used to polish it was called Zebo I think and this can still be seen in some shops today. Over the stove was a long shelf with one of the Vases at each end of it. In the centre was a Napoleons Hat striking clock, note striking not chiming - quite a hefty "boing" - sounded an absolute treat. This like the Vases also was a wedding present to them in 1931. I have that old clock also but unfortunately it is now out of action and would cost a lot to have repaired. This also like the china is kept because of what it is - an heirloom and not to be parted with working or not. Attached is a pic of that clock - try to imagine a low ceilinged room with wooden irregular beams running across it - door frames a little on the "wonky" side with all wooden latched doors - the old shining stove with the shelf over it having the Vases and Clock displayed on it. Just for further interest the fire grate in the stove was open fronted with bars and the most wonderful toast could be made against it and chestnuts roasted in winter - all with a hefty brass toasting fork this likewise shining bright. In the hearth stood a brass three piece Companion Set which was a stand with hanging on it a small brush, a shovel and a pair of tongs for picking up fallen hot coals. Round all the hearth was a brass low fender - the combination of all - the black of the stove, the yellow of the brass, the Clock and Vases made a wonderful picture - think I might try to reproduce it in water colours in fact. The whole room had a lovely snug and cosy feeling about it - if only it could have talked. Very sadly this Cottage, one of four in a terrace, was knocked down to make way for a new property. Nice to natter is it not. Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

chocolate and carolyn like this.
  2. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. A few more "heirlooms" found in the unopened boxes with the clocks and vases already mentioned. The condiment set sadly has two items missing (hopefully they are elsewhere in a box) and the Turkey plates are not old though owned by M in L for years - I think Johnson Bros. The Scuttle and Shovel are I think what was known as Sheffield Plate but correct me please if not so. Off shopping today so may not see you later - shopping is always a long drawn out business with us - grrrrr!. Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

S. you were wanting to see other 'interesting things'
    maybe this qualifies for that catergory,
    I purchased this cup and decorative saucer, with stand at the Pike Street Markets ,in [I think] Vancouver.Carried it carefully home in my backpack,
    a good few years ago when my husband and I walked through many places in the world.Not allowing ourselves to 'collect' too much baggage because we had to carry it a long way and by ourselves.

[​IMG]
    Saucer set into decorative frame. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Jewell and Donna S like this.
  4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi C. Thanks for that - it is very interesting and the first I have seen. I like the Bird pattern on it - is it hand painted (it looks as if could be) or printed?. Is there any marks on them telling where they were made and by whom ?.
    I guess from your post that you were a regular back packer years ago and got around the world quite a bit - a good experience that for sure.
    Syd.

Advertisement
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. A few more things from the unopened boxes. Does anyone know what that Pewter(?) cup represents - found it in a bric a brac shop ages ago - looks like a Yorkshire or Lancashire Rose on it.
    I never could findout where the fluted edged B and W plate was made but it is different for sure I think.
    Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Yes S. the saucer in decorative frame is hand painted and no marks whatsoever on the back,I was hoping some one could tell me, I would suggest it could be 1930ish.

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Another family keepsake. On the bottom.
    "Maddock's Lamberton Works"
    Royal Porcelain

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi C. Thanks again - very interesting. I will have a look and see if I can get any clues about the decoration - oftentimes a "full painting" as yours was done by a known named artist - perhaps in this case one known for their birds. Might just be lucky, I have one in mind but forget the Pottery he painted for - did a series on jugs amongst other things - wife had a milk jug with a Linnet painted on it. The green scrolling does look English and similar was used quite a bit as edgings etc.
    Will get back to you. Syd.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna - C.
    Donna. I missed your post for which sorry and what a lovely heirloom. I have Geoffrey Goddens book of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks and there is a Maddocks referred to in it. Will post the details for you.

C. Its interesting but like looking for a needle in a haystack your Cup and Saucer but the Jug my wife had was a signed bird painted one of a series by Royal Worcesters William Powell - they did a lot with bird decoration. If it is British the cups shape could possibly help - I have a comprehensive book showing many shapes. Can you post another pic of the cup alone side on so that its shape and handle shape can be clearly seen. We will have to be very lucky - with my huge collection of all sorts theres so much of it I have not a clue who made it since it is unmarked etc. Syd.

10. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

I have a few McCoy Pottery peaces! The Milk picture is a Fake! I says McCoy on the bottom! They way it is written brands it as a fake!

[​IMG]
    McCoy pottery! ( photo / image / picture from thepondlady's Garden )

[​IMG]
    close up ( photo / image / picture from thepondlady's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  11. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning,
    Donna S, your set goes so well with your décor,very nice and a lovely heirloom to have.

12. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Syd & Chocolate

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. A bit of info for you re Maddocks the mark on your pottery. The Potters I referred in England is John MADDOCK (no S) of Burslem England. Your mark MADDOCK'S (with an S) was/is an American Company - found that in Wikipedia and the fact Lamberton Works did not feature in any of the MADDOCK marks in my book.
    Will look MADDOCK'S pottery up in Google for interest.
    Only thing that confuses me a little is the apostrophe in MADDOCK'S - not quite the same thing as MADDOCKS.
    Syd.

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. I think we may have it now. I looked up your Pottery Mark (Maddocks) in Google and found this :- Trenton Pottery Marks - the Trenton Historical Society. Scrolling down in it it says Thomas Maddock and Sons started 1893 at the Lamberton Works Trenton N.J.
    Hope that is useful. Its certainly very interesting. Syd.

15. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

S.here is some photos of the cup...shape,size etc
    There are no markings on the base of either pieces.There is a small hole in the base of the cup underneath, might be a pointer to manufacturing process.The cup is approximately 3" in diameter Wouldnt hold very much, purely decorative I suppose.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]