Pottery and Porcelain.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0003-001.JPG DSC_0006-002.JPG DSC_0012-001.JPG DSC_0013-002.JPG DSC_0017-004.JPG "Finery" on Vendors,Gardeners Shepherdesses etc.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, yes, I can see me traipsing out into the garden dressed like that! The neighbors would call the local looney bin to come get me!
    The figurines are lovely, just perhaps not terribly accurate?

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. I agree lovely but not accurate by "modern standards" would I think be more appropriate - not at all practical either tripping over dress hems etc and having soaking feet in dainty slippers. Whilst they did dress up in that way then I would think more sensible clothing would generally be worn such as plain skirt and top when gardening seriously (and they did garden very seriously) or a shepherdess or similar - times for ordinary folk were hard then. Vendors of most types including flower sellers would perhaps want to make themselves look as becoming as possible to attract buyers. Another thought is that the figures themselves as I believe are made to look as fine and attractive as possible to increase their sales - be a bit dull methinks were they all for sale clothed in just jeans and tee shirts.
    Very glad you like them and I will hopefully post more pics as and when.
    Best wishes. Syd.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sidney I have the perfect limerick for those beautiful ladies--There was a young man from North Leeds. Who fell in love with a women who weeds. Her weeding attire set his heart on fire. This lonely young man from North Leeds.:D Not into collecting to much stuff. But I do love ceramic angels of all shapes and sizes. Not the cherub looking ones. The more adult looking angels.

Advertisement
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi T2s. Thanks for your comments and interest - I think your little rhyme is very good indeed. Ref the ladies themselves they are I agree very lovely and the great variety in dress colour, styles and subjects etc makes them the more so. Glad you liked them and also that you collect some porcelain - porcelain angel figures sound very attractive. A second verse to your limerick follows

There was a young man from North Leeds.
    who fell in love with a woman that weeds.
    Her weeding attire set he's heart on fire.
    This lonely young man from North Leeds.

Now this lonely young man from North Leeds.
    Was also well known for good deeds.
    So full of great ardour he stepped in and worked harder.
    To help her remove all the weeds.

Best wishes. Syd.

2ofus and Henry Johnson like this.
  6. hatrop

hatrop New Seed

My Grandmother was a lot into pottery but then she stopped it after she got ill and was diagnosed with dementia. She is now in an assisted living center . We still miss her terribly especially when we see all the beautiful pots that she left back at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator