Preparing our hearts and homes for kitties

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Venus414, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Hi all,

I may have mentioned that gardening became really important to me the past few months after I experienced a significant loss. My dog (very much my baby) of nearly eleven years passed away. It has been a devastating time and caring for our little succulents from our wedding helped me a little bit.

While out exploring our new neighborhood last week, I stumbled upon a little pet supply store. I don't know why but I went in. In the very back were a mommy cat and kitten playing together and snuggling. I have always been a dog lover, dog foster and rehabilitator and then a dog mommy for almost eleven years... but NEVER a cat person! But this little black kitty was such a silly lunatic and I couldn't get him out of my mind.

I finally confessed this to hubby (who is a cat person but also has wanted to give me space and time to heal) and we went to go meet the kitty during an adoption rescue event. He loved the black kitty and we met a second grey kitty who we also both loved!

So now we find ourselves deep in conversation but veering toward adopting. I think we'd like to start a (human) family in the nearish future and knowing what I went through with my heart dog, I don't think it would be right of me to commit to another - plus it just doesn't feel right. But I bizarrely loved these kittens and this is starting to feel right!

So it may be time to start thinking about protecting my little succulents from kitten paws and nibbles. I also just got a bit of my mom's money plant from home that I'm trying to propagate in water, but read today that they are dangerous to pets, so I may give it back to my mom (or try to raise it on our balcony, but it's so cold out here).

Just wanted to share with you all! If there's a desire for photos and kitten antic stories, I would be happy to share those too! And all the advice I can get on safety for plants and pets would be lovely.

Kitties will be indoor only, and not go on the balcony (too dangerous). I have read a tiny bit about raising container gardens just for kitties - if anyone has experience there, I'll also happily take it!

Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Firstly I send you sincere condolences on the recent loss of your pet. It's so hard to accept that they have gone and even harder to think of replacing them. The kittens sound like the ideal solution for you and your husband. There are many of our members who can give you advice about what is good for cats, and what to avoid, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

Venus414 likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If those kittens are speaking to you, adopt them. I'm so sorry you lost your dog, but the kittens will help you heal.
    About living with cats--there are no rules, but you are in a constant negotiation process. "Okay, I'll stay off the kitchen counter but I get to sleep on the couch".
    What is good for cats is lots of petting, good food (you may want to consult your vet about this), a place of their own where they can snuggle and get away from everything, and no dangerous plants. Here is a link to plants that are toxic to cats:http://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_ct_poisonous_plants
    I'd also suggest that the cats get used to being brushed with a soft grooming brush, and having their claws clipped so they don't get long enough to recurve into the foot pads. Again, your vet can tell you how to do this.
    Don't expect your cats to behave like dogs. As Cjay, a member posted, dogs think you are gods, cats think they are gods!

eileen and Venus414 like this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Condolences on the loss of your dog. Always super hard when a pet passes.

The kitties sound terrific and I for one would love to see photos of them and hear about their antics. Nothing in the world like a kitten to lighten and brighten the day (and basically I'm a dog person) :) :) :)

Venus414 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

So sorry you lost your dog. I've been there- we have been dog less for 5 years now. Still have two cats, both old and set in their ways. Yes, do not expect a cat to be similar to a dog in many ways. They are so much more independent. But my cats have been a huge part of our family and have added a lot of stories to our lives. (see my garden pics to see them :chuckle: ) As kittens they can be a challenge! they get pretty wild in play, scratching, biting, climbing, getting into stuff..... And one thing I know for certain, when my furry girls are gone I will NOT miss the litter box!!

Sjoerd and Venus414 like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good luck on your kitten adventure Venus!
    I've always been a 'dog person' too, but added a kitten to our family 12 years ago. They are definitely NOT like dogs, but are fun in a different way.
    My cat definitely thinks she is a God :chuckle:

Venus414 and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am 100% a cat person. I had two that lived to be 19 y.o. They were strictly indoor cats. They were that way when we got them and that is the way we kept them. They had a great life and enriched ours even though they were a bit autistic in that they never wanted to sit on laps and be petted until the last two years of their lives. I miss them quite a bit still, but like Kay, I will not miss cleaning the litter boxes.
    Enjoy your cats---I can't imagine that you would not.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Venus414 likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I like cats and always had a barn cat when I had cats and had cats all during the years my daughters were little. Probably about 6 yrs ago now I got another one. Maine coon - he was a gorgeous guy, young adult who'd been abandoned, was horribly matted. He was a real cool cat with lots of character but I was suddenly severely allergic and sadly, ultimately adopted him out to a neighbor (who also loved him). Never realized that allergies could develop later in life :(

Venus414 likes this.
  10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am sorry for your loss. (We just lost our 13 1/3 year old yellow lab so I know how hard it is) We have a cat and a little Chihuahua mix so we won't be replacing Miss Shadow. I am a dog person but I like cats but with the vets around here not wanting to declaw them, I would be worried about getting a cat with claws again. Birdie lays on her back and lets us cut her nails with no problems...touching their feet helps them get used to you doing it. I would say you might want to wait a little while so you are 100 % sure you want to get a cat. Too many cats and dogs end up at the humane society because people change their minds. I would love to go out and get another lab right now but I know it is because I miss her.... I will wait but our little Chihuahua is a very good dog and we will devote all of our attention to her and Birdie. Good luck in making a decision...