Progress In The Lottie

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have had lots of rain and cool weather here lately. The plants in the flower garden as well as the veggie plots have been putting out an excess of green foliage. Green is good, but I would like a bit more blooms and veg.

Here a progress foto of a portion of the veggie plots:
    kijkje.jpg

You can see the spuds over on the right and the sweetcorn plants to the left. Another angle shows how the veg is progressing.
    kijkje3.jpg

The two rows of beans are coming along well and the strawbs are making runners and plans for next season. The strawbs need just as much attention after the harvests as they do before because that have to survive the coming hot and dry period. They will need to have the runners removed. some of the foliage removed and while the mulch can be removed, they will require regular watering of their shallow roots and perhaps a small amount of fertilizer of some sort.

The flower garden is looking nice and full...but full of green primarily, but not many blooms. Still, it looks pretty good.
    kijkje2.jpg

The plums and apples are coming along pretty well. The two apple trees are making progress. I am interested in this because for their first few years that have produced almost nothing. One apple tree had five fruits last year, and this year:
    kijkje5.jpg

The other one had none, this two! Don't you find the shape of this apple strange? It sort of looks like an inverted pear.
    kijkje4.jpg

The toms have required suckering and pruning again and are coming along fine. One of the cucumbers isn't happy and the other one is producing lots of flowers...I am hopeful of some fruits.

That's it for the moment. I am hoping for some dryer weather soon so that the season can progress normally.

Islandlife, Frank, 2ofus and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sjoerd,..everything looks in prime health and very lush,..fingers crossed for you to have some warmer dry weather.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Your odd shaped apple looks like a young red delicious. They have that shape.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful photos Sjoerd! Your lottie looks great, with or without the sun!

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Your lottie is always so vibrant with lots of activity. Wish I'm there!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Always love the look of your garden. Your description of the needs of strawberries explains why I am not successful with them. Am removing them because of my lazy gardening style. Love the lushness of your flower garden and looks like you will get lots of eats from the veggies.

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much PHILIP--I have guarded optimism. I really cannot predict much with this odd weather situation. Some things are late and others are early. It is interesting but a little frustrating.

I had no idea that other apples had this shape MART--thanks for your comment.

Ahhhhh thanks a mil, CAYU-- That makes me feel better already.

Thanks to you as well, KK.

JEWELL--I appreciate your compliments so much. I was surprised hearing about your discovery concerning your misfortune with your strawbs. They can be difficult sometimes. I learned the hard way that these little princesses need to be pampered and ask for a lot of attention.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Oh! your lottie looks so good! Your vegetables are much farther along than mine though I did notice my sugar snap peas are blooming and the green beans and the squash are starting to form blossoms. The flower section looks great to me, there are enough blooming to make it interesting and a little green to rest my eyes on. As far as the strawberries go, I'd have to keep them covered when they started producing just to keep the wasps, hornets and every other flying or crawling bug in the area would get them first!

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh Sjoerd, I am looking at your photos and I am green with envy. Everything is so happy, lush and green. I can't think of the last time we had a cool and wet day! My plants are still the same size as when I put them in back in May due to the drought, and lots have died. It is a very sad situation in my gardens this year. Thanks for sharing your garden oasis .

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2OF--Thanks so much for your nice words. From what I can remember of Idaho it was very dry...especially at altitude. I have to keep my strawbs covered as well when they are fruiting. It is a nuisance, but it must be done if I want any jam and shortcake. I shouldn't complain about my garden this year, its just that I enjoy flowering plants so much.

NETTY--oh my goodness I had no idea that it was so dry there where you live. Somehow I never think of Canada as being dry. I am a bit sad that your plants are suffering and retarded in their growth this season, and you had waited so long this spring. So bad that you have even lost some plants--I find that dramatic because you have such a superior garden with special plants. It isn't good news at all. Your comments have left me with a double feeling. I feel for you.
    Fingers crossed that the weather will improve for you ...VERY soon.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Thanks Sjoerd. We did get some rain last night from a passing thunderstorm, about an inch. No more rain in our forecast for the next 10 days and hot temperatures expected again all week. It has been a very trying year in the gardens this year, both at work and at home.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, an inch is not much, but every little bit helps in these circumstances.
    I wish that your forecasts were more positive.
    Hang in there.