Progress On The Lottie

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 30, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Things have been so busy here this last week that I have not been on here much and have just been working in the gardens, eating and sleeping. Yeppers--a busy time.

I did take a few pics during the pauses though, promising myself to post them later. Here are some foto's of the goings on here with some update shots:

I shall start off with the bees. I added an extra honey super to two of the hives, and they are all flying busily as can bee.
    tuin01.jpg

I had cut out some drone brood a couple of weeks ago and been feeding the larvae to the brooding tits.
    Here a coal tit coming over to be hand fed:
    tuin09 a.jpg

Making a critical selection:
    tuin09.jpg

It was time to harvest the Bocking 14 Comfrey for making plant food and mulching the toms...all that nutrition.
    tuin.jpg

I filled a bushel basket with the Comfrey leaves and stems. Then it was on to training my new plum tree. I used twine with a brick on the end to hold the young branches bent almost horizontal with the ground. The ideal is a 45° angle.
    tuin06.jpg

I harvested the spinach for an unprecedented third time a couple of days ago.
    tuin12.jpg

I got five portions for two out of this haul.
    tuin13.jpg

The first strawbs are beginning to blush now...I can already taste the first decadent plate of strawberry's, short cake and whipped cream.
    tuin07.jpg

I saw this peculiar stalk thickening of the Digitalis plant. Thought that you might want to see this:
    tuin10.jpg

Finally an over view of the veggie plot. You can see most of the veg that I am growing at the moment.
    tuin11.jpg

Well, that was a bit of an update to give an idea of some of the work that I have been doing and to show how the veg is progressing.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh my goodness, your garden looks fabulous! Then, it always does ;)

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It is a very interesting tour, strawberries ... missed eating those yummy sweet thing straight from the plants.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Amazing !

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, NETTY-- That is a real compliment coming from such an accomplished gardener as yourself. I appreciate it.

Thanks KK-- I'll bet you do miss them. They really do taste good coming directly from the plant.

Thank you, MART. I am delighted that the foto's amazed you.