Pueblos in Northern Arizona

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The four corners area of the US (where Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah meet) is a diverse area with striking topography, varied landscapes and ancient ruins. My grandmother took us around to many sites, taught me an appreciation for aboriginal arts. We walked through several pueblos this last month in Northen Arizona.

I was pleasantly surprised at the changing archeological practices and beliefs within the scientific community. The landscape was a far cry from my current moss covered environment and maybe appreciated even more because of the huge differences. At one time more than 100,000 people lived in this area, far more than currently living in the region.

The region was another special place to visit. It makes one understand our fleeting time here and wonder what we will leave of ourselves after a millennia. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg These next three photos are from a different National Park. It was a major living, trading and gathering area at one time. Although not pictured there were also two circular sports arenas/gathering areas. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2ofus, Kay, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it fascinating how people from so long ago could construct such wonderful edifices without the modern tools we have today? I would love to have been an observer watching them create the buildings they did and seeing just how they managed it.

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Fascinating how these houses were designed and built so many years ago and have withstood the test of time.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

extremely fascinating ruins there, Jewell. We have seen some pueblo ruins in AZ when we toured there, but not this one. I find the Indian culture there so interesting.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Amazing! Another place to add to my list of 'things to see'!

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I was all wonderful to see. Hope to make it back next winter for a more extended excursion. East and north this summer. Hope to make a loop through the Dakotas into Canada and back during the warm month. Just have to survive my next four months.