Pull-apart roll recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Aug 14, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

2 pkgs. (2 tbsp.) yeast
    1/2 c. white sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    6 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 c. warm water (110 degrees)
    1/4 c. shortening (I use margarine, but any solid shortening will do)
    1 beaten egg (medium egg, if you are using a large egg, add a bit more flour)

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a large bowl, and stir to dissolve. Blend in sugar, salt, shortening, and egg. Add half of the flour and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon until the dough is smooth. Add remaining flour, a cup at a time, beating after each addition to make a smooth dough. If the dough is too loose, add 1/2 c. more flour and beat in.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl and make a loose ball of dough in the bowl. Cover with greased waxed paper and set in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

Punch the dough down, cover with the waxed paper, and refrigerate for about 2 hours or longer.

For pull-apart rolls, pinch off a bit of dough about the size of a walnut (1" across) and with greased hands roll into a ball. Place the dough balls in your greased pan (8", 9" cake pans hold 10 balls, or you can use rectangular pans that will hold more) and place in a warm spot, covered with a light-weight kitchen towel.

Let rise again for about 60 to 90 minutes, and then bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for for about 10 minutes before removing from pans.

These freeze well. Let the rolls cool completely, wrap in foil and put in a plastic freezer bag, and freeze until needed. Let thaw on the kitchen counter and then re-heat for about 15 minutes at 250 degrees.

I've been making these for years, and no one has complained yet!

Henry Johnson and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm going to try it as it sounds like a great recipe for two. We love home-made bread but with a full loaf, we both over eat or end up throwing some away.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

2ofus, you can make crescent rolls, Parker house rolls, or mini bread loaves, too using this recipe. I have a set of individual meat loaf pans that measure about 3" long by 2" wide and are about 2" deep. They make the cutest little loaves of bread, just right for two people!

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I like the idea these can be frozen :)

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Islandlife, my husband swears if we are ever invaded by an army, I can feed them out of the freezer and win them over to our side!
    I love to bake breads, and usually have the top shelf of the freezer crammed with breads. I make herb breads when I have an overabundance of fresh herbs and we eat them with hearty soups and stews all winter. Properly wrapped, frozen bread will last at least four to six months.

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I LOVE bread myself :) It is a staple of life and if it came down to it I would rather have a slice of freshly baked warm bread & butter than most anything else :) Your recipe is a really good one :)

I do the hearty soups, stews and bread too (but I mostly bake my bread in a bread machine)

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, Jane.
    They do not seem complicated to make.
    Gosh though--they seem very tasty to me.