Questions about growing Rosemary

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by herbfan3, Dec 16, 2009.

1. herbfan3

herbfan3 New Seed

I have just planted a row of Rosemary plants. How big do they normally Grow?

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They will usually grow as large as you let them if they like the growing conditions. I think height is limited but width is not.

I have one out back that is roughly 6' across x 4' tall and the one out front is a 3 years younger so it is only about 4' across and 3' tall.

4. herbfan3

herbfan3 New Seed

Wow, those are big plants. You probably have enough rosemary for everyone in the neighborhood. I know they are perennials but how long do they usually live?
    :?:

Does it hurt rosemary plants if they are pruned heavily? :-?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had the large one out back for 5 years in the ground and 2 years in a large pot before that.

I'll get back to you on the heavy pruning, I just did some on mine last month so we will see how it handles it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The one I had in Arizona had morning sun and afternoon shade. I never watered it and it grew 4 to 5 foot tall and spread everywhere. I cut it back every time it blocked the door to the shed or grew across the sidewalk and it never kept it from growing. I had it about seven years when we moved here. I have one here growing in a pot. When we get our own place I will put it in the ground. They don't grow as well in the ground. They do not much like cold winters though so if you have consistent below freezing weather you may have to pot it up and bring it inside. I did give rosemary to anyone who wanted it when I was there. I didn't dry it because I could pick it fresh year around. dooley

7. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

The first time I tried to grow rosemary I killed it by fussing over it to much. The second time I left it alone and it did great! I haven't pruned my heavily but will soon. My nephew inlaw cuts them into topiaries for the greenhouse he works in so I would think they can take a good cutting.

8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

You folks in warmer zones are so lucky to be able to grow rosemary year round! I grow it as a container plant, as it is not hardy here in Nebraska. It is a must-have plant for me each spring. I use it a lot for cooking. Don't take it for granted!

9. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I live in Arizona, Zone 8. We have those hot desert summers that last a long time, but it freezes almost every night November through February.

The ground never freezes so my one rosemary plant growing in partial shade can stay outdoors. I water it occasionally. It's 16" tall and 16" wide. It was a sprig with three little spikes when I set it out a year ago.

I've snipped it here and there for seasoning pork and soups. I'm going to try and take a couple of cuttings when it warms up.

10. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I like the smell of rosemary. But I too cannot keep it in the ground thru the winter. I have just as much trouble growing it inside in a pot. The aroma is lovely. I have a few seeds coming up at the moment we'll see how they do.

11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    We have occasional winter freezes that kill rosemary. Mine has been in the same pot with a few sedums for at least 6 years. (Outside in the summer in a cool breeze way in the winter.) I had trained it as a two ball topiary, but it didn't like that too well and the top ball died back the third year. I keep mine heavily pruned and it has survived, just don't go to far in, leave branch with some of the leaves. If you cut into where there are no needle/leaves that branch will probably die. Pretty tough. Lots of sun and they do well here in the PNW. Happy gardening.

12. flowingwaters

flowingwaters New Seed

Yeah I like Rosemary but it won't do too well if its in freezing conditions for too long.

13. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry New Seed

In my neighborhood here in San Diego there are several yards with huge rosemary bushes, both upright and a form that cascades down a wall. Smells great and the bees absolutely love it. If healthy it can defiantly take pruning. Might not be able to take frost, but it sure can take drought.

14. garengeek

garengeek New Seed

I remember when I lived in Seattle how profusely the rosemary grew in our front yard. I used to cut it back by half early in the spring every year and by the early fall it had grown completely back.

Rosemary bushes are a great option though if you want to fill in an area of a bed or even as hedging for little money. They get so big so quickly!

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Rosemary is one of our favorite herbs. Here in Texas it is in-ground, evergreen, and hardy as cacti! I prune ours a LOT because it grows so rapidly. I use what I can, give away fresh rosemary, and then strip the leaves from the larger stems and use the stems as shish-kabob skewers. Gives a light, lovely rosemary infusion to chicken and pork.
    The roofers broke one rosemary off at the ground. It came back whooping and is now about 3' tall, two season's growth.
    When we lived in upstate NY I had a micro-climate of a corner with stone walls, and our rosemary survived the winters in that sheltered spot. If you can find a similar situation, try a rosemary outside in the ground to see if it overwinters.

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

You would be surprised at how much cold it can take. Like was said it is a hardy evergreen in the southern states. Mine is on the east side of the house and never has been inside. Its about three years old and about 3 1/2 feet tall and looks more like a shrub. And the more you prune the better it seems to do. In the south I have seen it as big as a small tree.