Quick question about accidental clustering of veggies.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sharalyn Anderson, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Sharalyn Anderson

Sharalyn Anderson New Seed

So, on the same day I planted ground cherries in my main garden, I planted ground cherries in a separate garden near my house. Within two or so weeks, the ground cherries in my main garden came up. The ones I planted by the side of my garden never came up. I waited one more week and still nothing. I contacted the lady who I bought the seeds from she told me a week before that if they haven't sprouted yet, they probably won't. So like I said, I waited like one more week or around there and still nothing. Last weekend I decided to plant cantaloupe in the area where the ground cherries were supposed to come up. Just today, I noticed right close to where I planted a cluster of cantaloupe,there are two baby plants of ground cherries. Frustrated by this point, I would like to know, being both cantaloupe and ground cherries need room to grow, will this be okay, will they work okay next to each other?.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've never had this happen, so it is just a wild guess on my part, but I think the cantaloupe will take over and dominate. Can you transplant the ground cherries to the other bed?
    If not, I'd let them fight it out--they might even be compatible, or if not, one or the other will survive and thrive.
    Let us know the outcome, please!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Like Jane said, move them to another spot and let the cantaloupe grow there.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I agree..move the ground cherries. The cantaloupe would likely choke them out anyway.

6. Sharalyn Anderson

Sharalyn Anderson New Seed

They are super small yet, is it okay to transplant at such a young age?