Re-doing my beds this fall and next spring.

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by 2ofus, Jul 20, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Because of age and physical health I had Mike fence off almost half of our back yard. I told him, when he objected, that if he fenced it all I would try to plant it all. I have an easy care shrub bed at one end, then two 6 x 11 feet beds entering the veggie garden. Narrow 3 foot wide beds in front of the shop and my rather large shade to sun garden. I was so anxious to plant I made a mess. Anyway I'm making the plans on what to keep and what to replace. I'm keeping a lot of the plants but will probably move them to better spots. I've already decided that the re-seeding geraniums have to go. I can't keep up with the babies! Anyway thought I'd give you warning that I will be asking many questions.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. imaginegirl
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Looking forward to your questions, and sincerely hope I can be of some help. Re-doing beds when you have a plan isn't so difficult.
    Where did you get re-seeding geraniums? I carry my geraniums through the winter in the barn, but if I start with two geraniums, I still have two in the fall.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looking forward to before, during and after photos too.
    Your re-seeding geraniums sound like my re-seeding Jewels of Opar, Orange Cosmos and Echinacea, each Spring I find dozens of babies all over the place. :eek:

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I was confused for a second, then realized I should have put 'perennial' or 'hardy' geranium's. o_O It is really funny as I grew old fashioned Echinacea at my old house, which is just around the corner from our new house, and they rarely reseeded. This year I had dozens and dozen of them. I always hoped I would have birds on them eating the seeds but they, nor anything else, ever have. This year I'm going to cut the seed heads off before they can reseed! One job I'm dreading this fall is trying to move some of my lilies. A couple were mislabeled and are shorter than suppose to be so I have to move them forward. Of coure a tall phlox is right in front of them! I've never moved lilies before so I hope it isn't if there's any suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Dig Deep! I tend to start too shallow when I dig my lilies, don't know what I'm afraid of but I mutilate one or two before I get the swing of it! :rolleyes:

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

stratsmom...you made me chuckle with your comment....I always chop at least one bulb when I try and move them too...always dig deeper than you think is what I try and remember...

2ofus...if it would not have been for my husband retiring I would of had very messy gardens...he is a big help...good luck on deciding which plants you want to keep, I think that is the hardest thing to decide because I love so many plants.. I had some cosmos come back this year and that was great...

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It really is hard. To begin with I over-crowded my beds so I'm having to do a lot of pruning so the first thing I need to do is use graft paper and start sketching in the plants I want the most, allowing for the finished growth. Plus get rid of some of the plants I've divided, such as Iris, and couldn't find a home for but just couldn't toss them, so I stuck them in where ever there was room. That will at least allow me to get an idea of what I need to do.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

2ofus; I applaud your plans. I am wanting to reduce the amount of flower beds I have. Three of the perennial flower beds are 25ft long and about 4ft, 6ft, and 8ft wide at different points. Then I have two along the driveway which are both 6ft wide and at least 12ft long. Then I have a 12ft x 12ft area that is also a sun- shade perennial bed and a smaller bed that gets very neglected. With this year being so dry I find myself watering them at least every week. Thank God we have a well and do not have to pay for all the water we use.
    I have the same dilemma you have. I HATE TO THROW MY BABIES AWAY. But it is either downsize, or continue to be frustrated at how they look because I do not have the time to care for all of them. At my age I want to enjoy spring, summer, and fall. I think I will have a give-away sale this fall. But there are things that I will not part with. Especially my Iris's.
    Looking forward to hearing how your plans are progressing. :nerdy:

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,

I can so relate! Establishing new beds is a lot of fun (work too), but maintaining extensive plantings can get to be too much! I wish you well with your re-design & hope you can come up with a garden that is more easily maintained.

I also am overwhelmed with gardening talks & am thinking of gradually replacing some of my perennials with shrubs of one kind or another. I am assuming they will require less maintenance.

Good luck to you!

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I worked on two of my beds yesterday. I love Jonny-jump-ups and scattered a few seeds in 3 beds. What a mistake! I have never had them re-seed so prolifically! I removed all I could find in the 2 sun beds ( in spots I couldn't see the ground for the tiny seedlings) and am going to restrict them to the shade garden where they are some what curtailed by the shade. I also did a general clean up and closer to fall will do some major shuffling around. I think it is too soon to transplant right now but at least by getting the beds cleaned up and removing what is limping along, or taking over, I have an idea what I can move.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sounds good 20fus. I bet if feels good to be able to get going on your plan. I hope your back is holding up.

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

As soon as we unloaded everything from our vacation I started planning my re-do of the shade bed. I didn't take a before picture as you would have thought my 8 month old grandson designed it! I may be a little crowded as the hosta's grow but I did buy smaller diameter ones. What do you think? If you have suggestion please let me know.
    069 (Small).JPG 070 (Small).JPG 071 (Small).JPG

I thought some of you may enjoy my stepping stones also.
    072 (Small).JPG 073 (Small).JPG 074 (Small).JPG 075 (Small).JPG

Plus two handmade ones I did a few years ago.
    076 (Small).JPG 077 (Small).JPG

toni and Frank like this.
  14. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Looks very good.

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That shade bed is sooooo cute. I do suggest that you come down here and re-do mine too. That is on my plans for the fall, looking pretty sad this year.

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It will work out fine for you....you never know which plants will do better than others so if you do get crowded after awhile, then you can just move something to another area. I really like your stepping stones...:)