Re-Usable Canning Lids

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by carolyn, Oct 17, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I found some re-usable canning lids a couple years ago. These are a plastic flat with a separate rubber ring. You use regular rings to screw them down. All can go in the pressure canner or water bath. I loved them the first year i used them, but I noticed that some of them bowed after I used them, so now some are convexed instead of flat and now won't seal when I use them.

Has anybody else seen these or used them in your canning?

They are made by the Tattler co. The concept of re using them was why i bought them, but they aren't worth the investment if I can't re-use them. :-?

2. Loading...

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

can you possibly reheat the bowed ones in warm water and rebend them back carolyn? i just purchased some Tattlers this year, but won't be trying them till next year. maybe you could write the company. they're real good responding to questions i hear, and helping. i've heard nothing but good tings about the lids and their company. do let us know.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie, heating them doesn't seem to help. I even put them in the pressure canner and tried to can with them. No luck. I was thinking of writing them, though. The ones that aren't bowed are superb. I have used them now for about 3 years.

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hey carolyn, if you do write them, be sure to let us know what they say!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I found them on line( my boxes do not have a web address, must mean they are old already) and emailed them. They told me I was tightening them too much and they would send me new ones, but wanted their old ones back and they would pay the postage. COOL BEANS!

marlingardener likes this.
  7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

that's excellent carolyn! i really like this company!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I received my replacement lids just the other day. I think my email "fell through the cracks", but eventually was taken care of. Took a while, but I wasn't planning on using them anytime soon. They (the company) were very good both the first time I contacted them and them when I didn't hear anything for a while and re contacted them. So I will give them a thumbs up for standing behind their product, even though it was evidently MY fault for tightening the bands too much, before the processing. So I'll try again next year to do it the right way. ( I think the instructions have changed somewhat since I bought mine a few years ago.)

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

that's super carolyn!

10. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks for posting about this carolyn i have been looking for something like this for a while. Currently i am using the old lids for things like jams and pickles which don't need such an air tight closure.

just have to see if they deliver to canada

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dan I use these mainly for canning. Trying to keep the rubber gasket with the flat is kind of a pain. If you are using old lids and jars for just storage, I recycle them for the same use, but not for canning. I collect the clamp down style of jars at thrift stores also. They have the replaceable gaskets still available. I found them at a local hardware store, here. Otherwise they can also be found around Amish communities, such as Lehman's hardware in Kidron Ohio, but they are pretty pricey as it is a touristy type place), they use these as well and are available more readily in these communities than most. If you look around and ask the Amish they will direct you to a housegoods place that will supply the gaskets as well. We have one about an hour south of us, but no phone or internet to order from.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've been looking for Tattler lids, but haven't found any yet. Maybe they are only available during canning season here in Ontario. How was the price Carolyn?

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I haven't used mine yet but I checked them out on-line and they seemed like a reputable company. I am so disgusted with the metal lids now that they have decreased the amount of sealing compound and then added 'store up to one year'. I've also noticed that acid food can take the finish off the inside of the lid. Has anyone else had that happen? That's the reasons that I ordered mine.

14. Netty

I'm not too impressed right now with the metal lids. I thought I was OK with Bernardin lids, which I was. But I was almost out of lids so I picked some Bernardin lids up at the dollar store and 2 of 6 jars I did today didn't seal.
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the regular lids and the ones they sell at Dollarama? They both say Bernardin on them, but the boxes are slightly different...

15. Netty

I found some Tatler lids and seals today ... bought 2 boxes for $6 a box of 12. I will use them a few times before I decide if I would like to buy more.
    I have also been having better luck with the Bernardin lids from the Dollar store, but I noticed today they have gone up to $2 a box...

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good for you, Netty. I like the bernadine flats, but I can't get them just anywhere around here. They are a heavier lid than the ones sold by Ball and I thought they sealed better also. The last ones I found I bought about a 4 hour drive from here. I have the tattlers and I thought the concept of a reusable lid was fabulous but I dislike putting the gaskets and flats together to use them... just one more thing to fuss with for me, but the concept is great.