Record no rain.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Kildale, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

We have reached a record 54 days with no rain registered. Things in the garden are having a hard time. We can't water everything, something always gets missed. They say we have a chance of a shower over the weekend.

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I feel your pain. Our record length without rain was July 1 thru Sept 22, 2000....84 days. Thankfully during that time we only had 7 days of 100 deg temps. I used up all the water in my 5 (55 gallon) rain barrels long before it ended.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think we've ever had such a long spell without rain here in Scotland. I really hope you get some rain soon before your garden suffers any more.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Unfortunately, drought seems to be the coming thing. Those of us who can should consider harvesting rainwater. We have three 250 gal. cubes--two off the barn roof and one off the garage, and three 55 gal. trash cans that catch water off the house (two). and the workshop. We don't water heavily or often, just enough to keep things alive and green.
    So many towns/areas in Texas have water restrictions that even if water harvesting is not economically valid now, at least you have water when you need it.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I'm north of Kildale and 54 days with NO rain really sucks and isn't doing any the gardens any good at all. None whatsoever. I'm really hoping for a few drops SOON - like anytime NOW would be totally A-OK with me :)

This year here has been really different. We had an incredible hard long cold winter and the BOOM summer started, got hot and now no rain.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've heard about your dry weather in BC, and completely understand how you feel. We had a drought here in my area of Ontario last summer, and it is a horrible feeling watching your gardens suffer and your beloved plants die off. I'll do a rain dance for you ... hang in there guys!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Rain has been pitifully little in my garden. We had no winter (except for 3 days of temps in hovering around the freezing mark) and very little rain so this summer has been a continuation of last summer now for 15 months. And I haven't heard any good news for the next few months either.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

So different here,..it didn't rain today,..that's a bonus as we nearly always get at least one shower per day,..thankfully of late it has rained overnight rather than spoil the daytime,..i guess somebody loves us lol.

2ofus likes this.
  10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The 3 drops that fell over the weekend helped to clear some smoke from the sky, but the garden is incredibly dry. I'm attempting to water some to keep the perennials alive. Looks like it will be a dry fall unless some major weather patterns change.