refacing stucco stone

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by craftiedi, Nov 4, 2007.

1. craftiedi

craftiedi New Seed

We have a wall of stucco stone behind our free standing stove in our family room. We are trying to sell our house and all stagers think the wall needs to go. I say it can be refaced with sheet rock etc. by using masonry screws to attach sheet rock. My husband says it can't be done. We are really low on funds so could use any help we can get. We are open to other materials also.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Primsong
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Craftedi, welcome to GardenStew.

If the stove is a working stove and used for heat in the winter, I'm not sure replacing the wall with sheetrock is the thing to do. The wall has to be fireproof so that it won't scorch or burn from the heat of the stove.

Stucco is not a stone, it is as coating applied to cover walls or facades made from other materials suchas concrete, cinder block, clay brick or Adobe. Traditional Stucco consists of Lime, Sand and Water. Modern Stucco is made from Portland Cement and water.

Putting screws thru the stucco is not the main problem, you need to find out what the stucco is covering. There may be something behind it that can be screwed or nailed into, but there is a chance the stucco will shatter if it is old.
    There also might be a nice brick wall back there that will look better than the stucco or it could be a cinderblock wall that will look worse than the stucco.